OXFORD — Catholic Central High School senior Chip Samuelson won district championships in two events Friday at Miami University, advancing to the Division II state meet next week in Canton.
Samuelson finished first in the 50-yard freestyle in 21.44 seconds and also won the 100 breaststroke in 58.03. He was seeded first and fourth, respectively, in the events.
The top two swimmers in each event earn automatic berths at the state meet. Other state berths are awarded to swimmers from across the state with the top 16 times.
Samuelson also won the district title last year in the 50 free (21.65).
He went to state in the 100 freestyle last year, but switched to breaststroke this year. Samuelson finished eighth in the 50 last year at state.
In the Division I meet, Springfield’s Trevor Keriazes placed 17th in the 500 freestyle (4:46.98) and 21st in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.73).
No other results from the Division II boys district meet were available at the News-Sun’s press time.
The Division I and II girls compete today at Miami.
Among the top area district qualifiers are:
• Shawnee’s Kendra Crew in the 200 individual medley and 100 breaststroke; and Kacie Miller in the 500 freestyle.
• Catholic Central’s Ragen Engle in the 50 freestyle and 100 breaststroke.
• Central’s Allison Lohnes in the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke.
• Central’s Stephanie Lohnes in the 50 free and 100 backstroke.
• Central’s Stella Petroff in the 100 breaststroke and 200 IM.
• Yellow Springs’ Erika Chick in the 100 freestyle and 200 freestyle.
• Yellow Springs’ Elizabeth Malone in the 100 butterfly and 200 IM.
• Tecumseh’s Courtney Speakman in the 500 free.
• The Central 200 freestyle relay, 200 medley relay and 400 freestyle relay.
• Shawnee’s 200 freestyle relay and 400 freestyle relay.
The state meet takes place Thursday through Saturday at the C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton.