The following is a high school football preview. The preseason begins Thursday, Aug. 1. Most teams will play Week 1 games on Friday, Aug. 30.
High school: Greeneview Rams.
Location: Jamestown, Greene County.
Division/Region: D-VI, Region 24; D-V, Region 20 last season.
Affiliation: Ohio Heritage Conference South.
»» RELATED: Tippecanoe Red Devils preview
Head coach: Ryan Haines, seven seasons at Greeneview and third as head coach (20-3 record).
Assistant coaches: Grant Georgic, OC/OL; Jerome Crosswhite, WR; Andrew Collins, QB; Troy Sweeney, RB; Brent Noes, LB; Logan Lehman, DL; Brian Payton, volunteer/FB.
2018 record: 10-2, 5-0 OHC South.
2018 highlights: Won a second straight OHC South championship. Only regular-season loss was 7-0 to Mechanicsburg in Week 4.
»» RELATED: Top 7 underclass RBs last season
Qualified to the playoffs for the fifth straight year, falling 35-13 to Wheelersburg in the second round. Returning senior RB Clay Payton was the OHS South player of the year. The 2019 senior class was the winningest (37) in Rams football history. Had six All-OHC first-team picks, two chosen to the All-Southwest District teams and two All-Ohioans.
• Nick Wolfe, 6-0, 280, sr., OL/NG; two-time first team All-OHC, 34 tackles, five sacks, two forced fumbles.
• Clay Payton 5-10, 185, sr., RB/LB; OHC South player of the year, two-time first team All-OHC; 1,037 yards rushing, 14 TDs, 129 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, one INT, three forced fumbles, one defensive TD.
»» RELATED: Wayne hires Yellow Springs AD
• Bryce Day, 6-1, 245, sr., OL/DL; second team All-OHC; 23 tackles, four tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery.
• Dakota Mangan, 5-11, 185, jr., WR/LB; averaged 16.0 yards per rush, two TDs, 21 tackles, two sacks.
• Mike Hanson, 6-1, 220, sr., OL/DL/P; 32.0 punt average, four punts downed inside 20.
• Jayden DeHaven, 5-11, 185, jr., RB/LB; returns from injury-shortened season, 14 carries, 105 yards in two games.
What to know: Rams drop one division due to the OHSAA’s competitive balance annual realignment, but that’s no relief. Also in D-VI – although Region 23 - are perennial MAC powers Coldwater, St. Henry, and Minster, which moved up from D-VII. Lumped with Greeneview in D-VI, Region 24 is OHC rival Mechanicsburg.
Everything appears to be in place for another great season and playoff run for the Rams, especially with Wolfe and Payton returning.
»» RELATED: New AD at Tippecanoe H.S.
The Rams will face four new opponents. Stebbins (0-10) replaces Arcanum (2-8) in Week 1. Also rotating off the OHC schedule are Fairbanks (7-4), Mechanicsburg (8-3) and Northeastern (1-9). New OHC opponents are West Jefferson (8-3), Triad (5-5) and West Liberty-Salem (7-3).
Schedule, all at 7 p.m.
Week 1: Fri., Aug. 30, Stebbins
Week 2: Fri., Sept. 6, at Waynesville
Week 3: Fri., Sept. 13, West Jefferson
»» RELATED: CJ loses swim coach
Week 4: Fri., Sept. 20, at Triad
Week 5: Fri., Sept. 27, West Liberty-Salem
Week 6: Fri., Oct. 4, at Southeastern
»» FACEBOOK: For more sports you should like Marc Pendleton
Week 7: Fri., Oct. 11, at Cedarville
Week 8: Fri., Oct. 18, Springfield Catholic Central
Week 9: Fri., Oct. 25, Madison Plains
Week 10: Fri., Nov. 1, at Greenon
»» TWITTER: You should like @MarcPendleton
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.