Domsitz was enshrined in the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association hall of fame in June. With 327 career wins, he should pass former Versailles patriarch Al Hetrick this coming season to rank No. 6 among Ohio’s all-time winningest coaches.
»RELATED: Northmont Thunderbolts photo gallery
»RELATED: Northmont seniors united
The brown and gold beating goes on from the campus at East David Road in Kettering. “There’s good reason to believe we’re going to be pretty competitive,” said Domsitz.
The following are five things to know about GCL Co-Ed North football.
»RELATED: GWOC American South football preview
»RELATED: GWOC American North football preview
Teams/coaches: Alter (9-2, 7-0; D-III, Region 12), Ed Domsitz (43rd season); Carroll (1-9, 0-7; D-III, Region 12), Ben Rulli (fifth season); Chaminade Julienne (9-4, 6-1; D-III, Region 12), Marcus Colvin (eighth season); Fenwick (6-4, 5-2; D-III, Region 12), Dan Haverkamp (first season).
»RELATED: What to know about football season
»RELATED: Springfield WR commits to Minnesota
What to know: The GCL North will merge with Central teams Badin and McNicholas next season. Missing will be Purcell Marian and Roger Bacon, who will join the Cincinnati-based Miami Valley Conference for football only.
Those six remaining GCL teams have formed an alliance with Columbus-based private schools DeSales, Hartley, Ready, St. Charles and Watterson. That’s mostly a schedule benefit and apparently will not affect GCL standings.
»RELATED: Carlisle Indians preseason preview
»RELATED: Trotwood-Madison Rams preseason preview
• Alter senior running back John Bivens still has not been cleared to return to the Knights’ backfield after suffering a severe leg injury in a Week 9 defeat of McNicholas last season. Bivens had 1,308 yards rushing, 15 TDs and the admiration of Domsitz.
“That’s a shame,” Domsitz said. “He’s probably one of the top two running backs I’ve ever had.”
Bivens blew out knee ligaments and dislocated a knee cap, but the worst part was severing a nerve in his leg.
»RELATED: Centerville will host Alter in Week 3
»RELATED: Week 1 high school football schedule
• Dan Haverkamp, 30, succeeds John Aregood as Fenwick’s coach. Aregood stepped in as interim coach after the unexpected resignation of Joe Snively following the 2016 season. A 2006 Cincinnati St. Xavier grad, Haverkamp coached for eight years at St. X and was an assistant head coach under Steve Specht the last three seasons.
Fenwick has mounted a streak of nine consecutive winning seasons and is looking for another playoff run with 20 mostly proven seniors. “If we get off to a good start and get some confidence and get some momentum, I think our ceiling is pretty high,” said Haverkamp.
»RELATED: Committed area football seniors
»RELATED: Centerville Elks preseason preview
• ABC 22/FOX 45 will feature Alter and CJ on its Thursday Night Lights show. Alter’s season opener at Fairmont on Aug. 23 will be televised live as will CJ’s Week 3 game against visiting Greenville on Sept. 6.
»RELATED: Games on radio, TV, internet
»RELATED: Tippecanoe Red Devils preseason preview
• CJ received a surprise boost when junior QB Ryan Minor (1,007 passing yards, seven TDs) transferred in from Stebbins. The Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled there was no violation of transfer bylaw rules.
»RELATED: Key football dates
Key returning offensive players
• Connor Bazelak, sr., QB, Alter: 1,097 yards passing, 11 TDs, committed to Missouri.
• Ricardo Calzada, sr., C, Carroll: Second team All-GCL North.
• Sully Janeck, sr., QB, Fenwick: 607 yards passing, 4 TDs.
• Dominic Wilcox, sr., WR, CJ: 450 yards receiving, 5 TDs in three playoff games.
• Derek Willits, sr., TE, Alter: 19 catches for 270 yards (14.2), 1 TD.
»RELATED: Saturday playoff football returns
»RELATED: Fairmont Firebirds preseason preview
Key returning defensive players
• Shane Cokes, sr., DE, CJ: 34 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble.
• Sam Howard, jr., DB, Carroll: 66 tackles, 1 INT.
• Connor Meyer, sr., DL, Alter: 77 tackles, 1 fumble recovery.
• Dan O’Connell, sr., LB, Alter: 24 tackles, 1 forced fumble.
• Sam Secrest, sr., DE, Fenwick: 65 tackles, 1.5 sacks.
»RELATED: New transfer rule approved
Week 1 games: All at 7 p.m.
• Alter at Fairmont, Thu., Aug. 23.
• Carroll at Stebbins, Thu., Aug. 23.
• Anna at Fenwick, Fri., Aug. 24.
• Piqua at CJ, Fri., Aug. 24.
»FACEBOOK: For more sports you should like Marc Pendleton
Bonus fun fact: Last year Alter beat CJ 34-6 in Week 10 to clinch an outright GCL North title. The teams played again the following week, but this time CJ landed a stunning 49-28 KO in the first round of the playoffs. And it could happen again.
»TWITTER: You should like @MarcPendleton
All four GCL North teams are lumped in D-III, Region 12. The OHSAA’s annual competitive balance adjustment dropped Carroll from D-II, Region 8 and bumped up Fenwick from D-IV, Region 16. Both Alter and CJ were elevated from D-IV, Region 16 for last season when competitive balance made its debut.