7 things to know now: Nuns murdered; college football starts; 'DWTS' cast; MTV video awards
Jonell Payton, right, comforts Lisa Dew, outside the Durant, Miss., home of two slain Catholic nuns, Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016. The nuns worked as nurses at the Lexington Medical Clinic, where Dew was the office manager. Dew and a Durant police officer discovered their bodies inside the house after both nuns did not report for work. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)
Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.
What to know now:
1. Nuns slain: Two nuns were found murdered in their home in Durant, Miss., Thursday, the apparent victims of a break-in. Law enforcement officials say they have recovered a car that was missing from the home. The sisters, both 68, were stabbed to death.
2. Lochte charged: Police in Brazil have charge Olympic medal winner Ryan Lochte with filing a false robbery report. Lochte claimed that he and three other American swimmers were stopped on the way back to the Olympic Village after attending a party and robbed by men claiming to be police. It was later revealed that Lochte and the others stopped at a gas station, vandalized the building and was confronted by security officers there.
3. U.S. boat fires warning shots: Three Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps boats made a run at a U.S. Navy patrol boat in the Persian Gulf Wednesday, prompting the U.S. craft to fire warning shots at the Iranian vessels. The shots were fired into the water as one Iranian boat came within 200 yards of the USS Squall. The Iranian boat then turned back.
4. College football begins: If you can't wait another day for the college football season to start, you're in luck. It starts Friday night when California takes on Hawaii in Sydney, Australia. The season gets underway in earnest next weekend, but for the college football junkie – any game at any time is alright.
5. "DWTS" cast rumors: The names of some of the stars set to take a spin around the dance floor on "Dancing with the Stars" are leaking out. Rumored to be among the next crop of would-be Fred Astairs and Ginger Rogers is music producer Babyface (Kenneth Edmonds), "Little Women: LA" star Terra Jole, Ryan Lochte and Amber Rose. The official announcement of the cast will come next week on "Good Morning America." "Dancing With the Stars" premieres Monday, Sept. 12.
And one more
The 2016 MTV Video Music Awards are set for Sunday night. The always entertaining show will, of course, have a jaw-dropping moment or two. Remember Kanye grabbing the mic from Taylor Swift? Brittney Spears and that snake (not Kanye, a real snake)? Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley in the most uncomfortable attempt at a kiss since …, well, actually that was probably the most uncomfortable attempt at a kiss. The show starts at 9 p.m. Sunday.