Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.
What to know now:
1. Attack in France: At least 84 people are dead and more than 100 wounded in Nice, France, after a large truck plowed through crowds gathered to celebrate Bastille Day. The truck attack went on for more than a mile along the city’s waterfront as people had begun to leave the area following a fireworks display. Police shot and killed the driver. So far, the French government says there has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.
2. Never Trump hits snag: A group of anti-Donald Trump delegates were dealt a setback Thursday when a committee at the Republican National Committee defeated a plan that would have allowed delegates to “vote their conscience” at the party’s convention next week. The effort to unbind the delegates, allowing them to vote for whomever they wish – instead of for the candidate they had been committed to by state primaries – was defeated by a voice vote.
3. Announcement delayed: Donald Trump had planned to introduce his running mate at an event on Friday, but postponed the announcement after the attacks in France. According to numerous reports, Trump asked Indiana Gov. Mike Pence to join him on the Republican ticket, and Pence had accepted. However, Trump in an interview Thursday night, said he had not made his “final, final decision" on a running mate.
4. Tim’s not talking: Former quarterback Tim Tebow posted a video on Instagram Thursday, denying that he would be addressing delegates at the Republican National Convention. Tebow said a report in The New York Times was a “rumor,” and that he was not one of the speakers at next week’s convention in Cleveland. “What’s up, everybody. I just got back from the Philippines, and I wake up this morning to find out I’m speaking at the Republican National Convention," Tebow posted. "It’s amazing how fast rumors fly, and that’s exactly what it is: A rumor.”
5. A dad again: Rocker Mick Jagger announced Thursday that he and his girlfriend, Melanie Hamrick, 29, are expecting a child. For Jagger, 72, it will be his eighth. The two were “surprised,” according to reports, but “over the moon,” with the news, a source reported.
And one more
A new documentary will take a look at the life and death of John F. Kennedy Jr. "I Am JFK Jr. - A Tribute to a Good Man," will be in select theaters on July 22. The film chronicles Kennedy’s life from his birth and his time in the White House, until his death in a plane crash in 1999. The film was made by Derik Murray, the man who made the films "I Am Bruce Lee," ''I Am Chris Farley" and "I Am Evel Knievel." The movie will be shown on Spike TV at 9 p.m. ET on Aug. 1.
In case you missed it
Slow motion makes everything cooler.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.