2. She will be the second woman in the country's history to be prime minister. Margaret Thatcher was the first. Thatcher was elected prime minister in 1979. She served until 1990.
3. She supports same-sex marriage, and has called for "a vision of a country that works not for the privileged few, but for every one of us."
4. She was home secretary, and was in charge of immigration and counterterrorism issues. She has shown a tough stance on immigration. She wants to cut net migration numbers by baring British citizens from bringing children and spouses into the country unless they earn more than 18,000 pounds – about $24,000.
5. Her husband is a banker. Philip May was a fund manager at De Zoete & Bevan and Prudential Portfolio Managers UK and later Deutsche Asset Management UK. For the past 11 years, he has worked as a Relationship Manager at Capital Group. The couple married in 1990. They have no children.
6. She is known as strong-willed and straight forward. Media in England have labeled her as "steely" or even "ruthless," according to NBC News.
7. She and her husband live in Sonning-on-Thames where her neighbors include George and Amal Clooney and Jimmy Page.