City Brewery opened in 1849 on the Penn St. hill, a location that provided a natural spring with pure water for brewing.
Later the Springfield Breweries, the Penn Street plant operated until statewide Prohibition in 1919 and then it was sold to the Citizens Dairy.
>>THEN AND NOW: First Presbyterian Church
The Citizens Dairy was later sold to Meadow Gold Dairy and later the Beatrice Food Products Co. and finally to Borden’s Dairy.
>>THEN AND NOW: First Baptist Church
Today, the building is much quiter but looks pretty much the same when it was a dairy.