South Vienna man accused of shooting cat with bow and arrow

South Vienna man accused of shooting cat with bow and arrow ordered to volunteer at SPCA

A South Vienna man will have to complete community service after being convicted of shooting a cat with a bow and arrow.

Daniel Tilson, 39, was sentenced to a 60 day suspended sentence and 24 hours of community service at the SPCA after pleading guilty last week, according to court records.

He was also ordered to pay almost $1,200 in restitution.

PREVIOUS: Clark County man accused of shooting cat 3 times with a bow and arrow

The Clark County Dog Warden began an investigation Feb. 3 after receiving a message via Facebook about an incident involving a cat shot with a bow and arrow, according to an affidavit filed with the case.

“Upon arrival, I checked the well-being of the cat, determined it was still alive and left immediately to find after-hours Sunday emergency care for the cat,” a humane agent with the Clark County Dog Warden wrote in the affidavit. “After many phone calls, Dr. Dana King of Northside Veterinary Clinic responded to my calls. I transported the cat to Dr. King’s personal residence so the cat could be seen.”

The male cat had ”three arrows protruding from his head and body,” the affidavit says.

The arrows were removed and the cat was stabilized at the time, the affidavit says. However, the cat eventually had to be euthanized.

Through an investigation, the dog warden’s office identified Tilson as the shooter. An investigator said she spoke with a woman who said they were shooting the arrows and the cat ran in front of the target.

“Since (the woman) was previously a veterinarian technician, she stated to Mr. Tilson that he had to do something, he couldn’t just leave the cat to suffer like that,” the affidavit says. “Mr. Tilson went back and shot the cat two more times in an attempt to put the cat out of his misery.”

Man arrested on suspicion of stealing a vehicle at gunpoint

The investigator did talk to Tilson as well, and he allegedly stated that he did not attempt to call the sheriff’s office or the SPCA at the time of the incident.

“He also stated that he had done all he could do as it was too much for him to handle,” the affidavit says.