NTPRD looking to rebuild after greenhouse fire


The National Trail Parks and Recreation District is making plans to rebuild a greenhouse after an electrical fire nearly destroyed it over the weekend.

The greenhouse, located behind the park district’s administration offices on Mitchell Boulevard, was primarily used for teaching kids about gardening and developing plants.

The Springfield Fire Rescue Division found the greenhouse engulfed in flames when crews responded to a report of a fire Saturday evening. Assistant Fire Chief Matt Smith said there was heavy smoke in the area of the building.

RELATED: Playground equipment added to New Carlisle park

“Greenhouses unfortunately tend to go up pretty fast, and there’s not a lot we can do to stop it,” he said.

Smith said there was some fuel in the greenhouse, like straw and wood that may have caused the fire to escalate, but said it could’ve been a lot worse if the district had been storing pesticides in it.

At this point, the fire division says faulty wiring in an exhaust fan is most likely to blame. Smith credits the passerby who initially saw smoke and immediately called 9-1-1.

“That’s always the key is early notification so we can get moving, get on scene and get early water on the fire,” Smith said.

Brad Boyer, deputy director of NTPRD, said the greenhouse was funded by $10,000 grant from the United Way about seven years ago. That money went toward both construction of the greenhouse and programming.

TRENDING: First Starbucks opens to Springfield community 

At this point, he said the only possible part of the greenhouse that’s salvageable is the framing.

Right now, the district is working with its insurance company to find out what repairs will be covered, Boyer said. From there, they’ll look for possible sources of funding to rebuild the greenhouse.

“Hopefully not a large gap of time before we’re able to have the kids back in there and learning again,” Boyer said.

He said he’s grateful the fire didn’t spread. The greenhouse was just steps away from the back of the administration building and and even closer to a newly-built structure funded by a volunteer and houses raised plant beds.

Boyer stressed things can always be replaced.

“The most important part is that nobody was hurt,” he said.



Reader Comments


Next Up in Community News

Clark County Municipal Court cases
Clark County Municipal Court cases

CASES CALLED MONDAY INCLUDED: Douglas Michael Alexander, 29, of Fairborn, driving under suspension, unauthorized plates, dismissed - prosecutor request. Eddie Ash, 43, of Chicago, trafficking drugs, possession of drugs, dismissed - indicted by the grand jury. Timothy R. D. Cook, 25, of Dayton, firearms in motor vehicle, receiving stolen property, dismissed...
Thousands of thermostats recalled due to fire hazard
Thousands of thermostats recalled due to fire hazard

Thousands of thermostats sold across the U.S. are being recalled due to a fire hazard, officials with the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced last week in a recall notice. About 135,000 Emerson-branded SensiWiFi thermostats were sold at stores and heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment distributors in America between April 2014...
'Bear, go away:' Video doorbell shows bear on Florida doorstep
'Bear, go away:' Video doorbell shows bear on Florida doorstep

A bear was seen on camera knocking over Christmas decorations on a family’s doorstep. WTSP reported that a video doorbell captured the bear’s visit in Naples, Florida. The video was shared to the Ring Neighbors App by the homeowner. Video began recording automatically when the bear stepped onto the property, according to ...
Children’s Place recalls infant girls snowsuits
Children’s Place recalls infant girls snowsuits

The Children’s Place and the Consumer Product Safety Commission have announced a recall of infant snowsuits due to a choking hazard. According to the recall alert, the metal snaps on the snowsuit can come off and can pose a choking hazard to young children.  About 14,900 snowsuits are covered by the recall in the United States. Another...
2 women arrested on prostitution-related charges at Miami Twp. massage parlor
2 women arrested on prostitution-related charges at Miami Twp. massage parlor

Two women were arrested on prostitution-related charges at a Miami Twp. massage parlor, according to jail records.  Deputies arrested Jinhuang Ging Liu, 45, and Li Wang Corona, 43, at Healthy Massage, at 2179 Miamisburg Centerville Road, online records show.  It was not immediately known if the charges Liu and Corona were arrested for were...
More Stories