Parasite outbreak in Clark, Champaign counties: What’s Crypto?


Health experts in Clark and Champaign counties are investigating an outbreak of 23 possible human cases of Cryptosporidiosis — also known as Crypto — that have been linked to dairy calves purchased as 4-H projects in the region.

But what is Crypto and how does it impact humans? Here are some answers to questions you may have about the disease.

» RELATED: Clark, Champaign Counties hit by outbreak linked to parasite, calves

What is Cryptosporidiosis?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cryptosporidiosis is an infection caused by the Cryptosporidium parasite. The parasite is often found in soil, food, water and surfaces that have been contaminated with feces from infected animals or individuals. The case currently being investigated has been linked to dairy calves, but the parasite can also be picked up from more common areas, such as swimming pools and baby changing stations.

The infection typically lasts for two weeks in those with healthy immune systems and is usually non-fatal in humans, unless the person is immunocompromised, the CDC says.

What happens when you’re infected?

The disease typically affects the small intestine, but also has been known to cause respiratory problems. Infected individuals exhibit a variety of symptoms, including watery diarrhea, low-grade fever, abdominal pain and fatigue. The respiratory form of the infection causes symptoms such as coughing, shortness of breath and hypoxemia, or low blood oxygen levels.

» READ MORE: Clark State, Mercy partner on new clinic to serve campus, community

According to the CDC, symptoms have been known to occasionally reoccur after a brief recovery period and can come and go for up to 30 days.

How can the infection be prevented?

The Cryptosporidium parasite has been known to be difficult to fend off because of its high resistance to virus and bacteria-killing cleaners such as chlorine bleach, according to research from the National Institute of Health. However, experts say the best way to prevent infection is cleanliness, such as washing your hands after coming in contact with animals or any potentially contaminated areas. They also recommend boiling any water which could have been contaminated before using or drinking it and soaking items in a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution.

» READ MORE: First Lady: ‘We need to change’ arc of opioid crisis



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Immigration: Babies and children held in 'tender age' shelters according to report (live updates)
Immigration: Babies and children held in 'tender age' shelters according to report (live updates)

Top Republicans responded Tuesday to the Trump administration’s hard-line immigration policy of separating families at the U.S.-Mexico border, a “zero tolerance” policy implemented six weeks ago. Many Republicans responded publicly to the harsh criticism over the policy, saying they support keeping migrant children and parents...
Opinion: Why only answer is to break up biggest Wall Street banks

Federal bank regulators are proposing to allow Wall Street more freedom to make riskier bets with federally insured bank deposits — such as the money in your checking and savings accounts. Watch your wallets. The new proposal waters down the so-called “Volcker Rule” (named after former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, who proposed...
Why leaving a water bottle in your car could be dangerous
Why leaving a water bottle in your car could be dangerous

On scorching summer days, taking a nice cold bottle of water for your drive seems like a natural fit. But it could lead to startling consequences, firefighters say. >> Read more trending news One Oklahoma fire department and a power company in Idaho recently demonstrated how a partly filled water bottle could magnify the sun’s rays and...
Mom warns of sunless heatstroke after toddler almost doesn't wake up from nap
Mom warns of sunless heatstroke after toddler almost doesn't wake up from nap

A Canadian mother is warning other parents about the dangers of indoor heatstroke after her daughter endured a frightening ordeal. Jennifer Abma of Edmonton, Alberta, told "Today" that she was keeping her daughters inside when a heatwave hit their town. Her 3-year-old daughter, Anastasia, went upstairs to take a nap a few weeks...
Active ingredient in sunscreen could cause cancer
Active ingredient in sunscreen could cause cancer

There's a health warning about a chemical found in most sunscreens. A new study found that when that chemical comes into contact with sun and chlorine, it can become toxic. If you flip over your sunscreen, chances are avobenzone is first ingredient you'll find. In fact, Boston's WFXT went into a couple of drug stores and found the vast majority...
More Stories