Residents at a Logan County apartment complex say their homes are making them sick.
Neighbors at Point Village Apartments in Russells Point said they’ve found black mold in their homes.
“Somebody’s always got an issue here with their health,” resident Cindy Mattox said.
Mold has been a problem at the complex for the three years she’s lived there, she said.
“I have a cough that I can’t get rid of,” she said.
Other neighbors, she said, experience nosebleeds, coughing up blood and chronic headaches.
The property manager at Point Village Apartments declined to comment for this story.
Mattox’s son and daughter-in-law also live in the apartment complex with their children. Jessica Mattox said she found what she believed to be mold under bathroom tiles in the home, and reported it to the Logan County Health District.
The health district worked with the property manager to fix the problem a few months ago, said Craig Kauffman, environmental health director at the Logan County Health District.
“They removed the tile and realized they had to tear out the whole sub floor,” Kauffman said. “That’s what they were doing.”
Kauffman didn’t say whether mold was found at the property but did confirm there was water damage.
“You just have to assume that there’s mold there or the potential for mold,” he said. “Because mold is going to grow whenever it has a chance.”
Cindy Mattox disputes that the floor was replaced by the property manager.
“They didn’t replace the floor; they covered the floor up,” she said. “It’s still a health hazard.”
The health district hasn’t received any complaints about the apartments in the last few months, Kauffman said.
If a resident believes there is mold in their home, “they need to contact us,” he said. “Have us come up and look things over. We get with management right away and see what the situation is.”