Dryer catches fire, sends smoke through first floor of Springfield house

Jeff Guerini/Staff

Combined ShapeCaption
Jeff Guerini/Staff

UPDATE @ 7:10 p.m.: The house fire was traced to a clothes dryer in the basement and the appliance's motor could have locked up, Springfield Fire Battalion Chief Dan Faust said.

The dryer was operating when firefighters went to the basement of the duplex on a report of smoke coming from an unoccupied double, Faust said. A resident in the neighboring unit called 911.

SEE ALSO: Dad accused of leaving child in shopping cart

The fire damage was isolated to the appliance. There was smoke damage in the basement and on the first floor.

There were no injuries, Faust said, and the occupant should be able to return to the residence this evening.

INITIAL REPORT

Firefighters have responded to reports of a house fire on West Pleasant Street in Springfield Wednesday afternoon.

Crews were dispatched to the 700 block of West Pleasant Street around 3:10 p.m. and reported smoke coming from a part of the structure, according to initial reports.

Additional details were not available.

We’ll update this story as we learn more.

About the Author