2 firefighters, resident treated after fire hits house

Highs were in the 90s when crews were called to 1216 S. Belmont Ave. about 11:35 a.m. to combat a fire in a bedroom.

Two firefighters were taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center for heat-related illnesses.

A woman at the house also was taken to the hospital by squad for an unknown reason, Battalion Chief Matt Smith said.

“There’s really no way to describe it,” firefighter Andy Cantrell said of the heat as he tried cooling down.

“It never gets easier,” firefighter Jen Jordan added.

The fire was under control within 15 minutes, Smith said. A cause wasn’t immediately known.

The home’s four occupants were accounted for, but some dogs weren’t, Smith said.

“We tried to put it out, but the smoke got to be too much,” homeowner Dave Strickland said. “We had to come out.”

The summer heat was perhaps the biggest worry Friday.

Calling it a “massive” concern, Smith called in additional units to help.

“That gear is miserable,” he said.

Contact this reporter at (937) 328-0352 or andrew.mcginn@coxinc.com

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X