A fire caused extensive damage to a Moorefield Twp. home Tuesday night and killed a family dog.
It took firefighters about seven hours to control and put out the blaze at 42 Villa Road, home of Mark and Tina Sellars. Firefighters were then called out to the home again on Wednesday morning after a rekindling and additional burning.
None of the five family members were home when the fire erupted. Daughter Emma Sellars was preparing for her Kenton Ridge High School graduation ceremony while the rest of the family was out at a baseball game, said Tina Sellars while working to clean out the home Wednesday morning.
No one was injured in the fire, Moorefield Twp. Fire Capt. Timothy Pollock said, and family, neighbors and the Red Cross assisted the family.
The house sustained extensive damage, although the estimated value of the damage hadn’t been determined Wednesday afternoon, Pollock said. The Sellars’ family dog died in the blaze.
The Moorefield Twp. fire department responded to the scene and was assisted by German Twp. Fire Department and Springfield Fire/Rescue Division. Villa Road was closed between Ohio 72 and Red Coach Drive while crews worked to extinguish the fire.
The state fire marshal’s office was called in to assist with the investigation of the fire.
The fire has been preliminarily ruled as accidental, with the origin of the fire suspected to be in the kitchen. A final cause of the fire will be determined upon investigation by the Moorefield Twp. Fire Department and state fire marshal.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.