Residents of the two apartments above the motor vehicles bureau were allowed to return to their apartments because their heat sources are electric, Chief Trusty said.
BMV clients and customers should call ahead before coming out Tuesday or use another BMV in the area, he said.
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles office in New Carlisle has been evacuated after a gas leak was reported.
Fire crews are on the scene at 430 N. Main St., according to 911 dispatchers.
The leak was reported around 4:30 p.m.
We have a crew on the way and will update this story as more information is available.