The American Red Cross is in critical need of type O blood and are asking the public to donate to help patients facing trauma and other life-threatening situations.
As a thank you, all donors who give blood or platelets now through June 10 will receive a $5 Amazon.com gift card via email.
Right now, the Red Cross has less than a two-day supply of type O blood available for emergency rooms.
“All blood types are urgently needed, but we’re facing a critical shortage of type O blood - the blood group most needed by hospitals,” said Rodney Wilson, communications manager for Red Cross Central Ohio Blood Services. “Because it’s vitally important for hospitals to have type O blood available when every second counts, type O donors are urged to donate now and make a point to donate often.”
Donors of all blood types, especially type O, are urged to make an appointment to donate using the Blood Donor App, at RedCrossBlood.org or be calling 1-800-733-2767.
Here is a list of the upcoming blood donation opportunities:
Champaign County - Urbana:
- June 3 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 116 W. Court St.
- June 6 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Urbana United Methodist Church, 238 N. Main St.
- June 8 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Champaign Family YMCA, 191 Community Drive
Clark County - Springfield:
- May 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Cliff Park High School, 821 N. Limestone St.
- May 22 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Ohio Masonic Home, 2655 W. National Road
- May 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Dole Fresh Vegetables Co., 600 Benjamin Drive
Logan County - East Liberty:
- May 21 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Transportation Research Center, 10820 Ohio 347
Miami County - Troy:
- June 4 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Koverman Staley Dickerson Insurance, 1106 W. Main St.
- June 7 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Hometown Urgent Care, 1430 W. Main St.
Montgomery County - Dayton and Vandalia:
- May 19 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Gem City Catfe, 1513 E. Fifth St.
- June 6 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Hollywood Gaming, 777 Hollywood Blvd.
- May 29 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 122 W. National Road
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.