Up to 100 tornado safe room structures to be built in Ohio

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

caption arrowCaption
Up to 100 tornado safe room structures to be built in Ohio

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Up to 100 tornado safe room structures will be constructed in Ohio after the Ohio EMA received over half a million dollars from FEMA.

PHOTOS: Xenia tornado devastation experienced in black-and-white photos 43 years later

"The entire State of Ohio is in the eastern edge of tornado alley," said Ohio Emergency Management Agency executive director Sima Merick. "The only way to protect oneself from wind speeds of up to 250 mph is in one of these safe rooms."

RELATED: 10 most recent tornadoes in the Dayton region

The project will cost $750,920, and FEMA will pay about 75 percent, or $563,190. The remaining 25 percent of the funds will be provided by participating homeowners.

RELATED: NWS confirms EF-1 tornado in Beavercreek

To find out more about funding and how to apply, visit here.

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

About the Author