Fallen Richmond officer: Police procession escorts body from Dayton to Richmond

A police procession Monday escorted the body of a Richmond, Indiana police officer back home from Dayton.

Richmond police Officer Seara Burton died Sunday at 9:59 p.m. at Reid Health while surrounded by her family, according to a statement from Richmond Police Chief Michael Britt. She was was shot in the head on Aug. 10 during a traffic stop.

Cruisers were lined up outside the Dayton Public Safety Building an hour before the procession was scheduled to start. Multiple law enforcement agencies, including the Dayton Police Department, joined the police escort as Burton’s remains returned to Richmond.

The procession started around 1:30 p.m. The escort took Interstate 75 North from Dayton to Interstate 70 West. Once it reached Richmond, it continued along U.S. 40 to North Fifth Street and passed Burton’s police car at the city building, according to the police department.

The escort took East Main Street back to U.S. 40 before ending at Doan & Mills Funeral Home at 790 W. National Road.

In several areas, members of the public stood along the road, showing support for Burton’s family and the Richmond Police Department.

ExploreRELATED: Richmond officer taken off life support ‘still with us,’ chief says

Britt said earlier this month that Burton’s injuries were determined to be unrecoverable and she was taken off life support. The 28-year-old was then transferred from Miami Valley Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit to a hospice facility.

“We would sincerely like to thank the Richmond community, and those who have supported Seara, her family and the department from near and far,” read a statement from Britt. “Thank you to all of those who have shown unbelievable support throughout this very difficult time including the Dayton Police Department, The Indiana State Police, Indiana State Fraternal Order of Police, Richmond Fire Department and Wayne County Sheriff’s Department, as well as many other agencies.”

About the Author