Not quite satisfied with a few of your holiday gifts this year? Don’t forget to read the fine print when opting to return or exchange.
According to Offers.com, clothing is the most likely item to be returned this holiday season, followed by toys and shoes.
The site put together a nifty list of standard and extended holiday return deadlines to help consumers get some cash or merchandise credit back. Note that it’s best to have a gift receipt or packing slip on you when returning items.
Holiday gift return policies at popular retailers:
- You have until Jan. 31 to return most new and unopened gifts shipped between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31 for a full refund.
- Returning items purchased using Alexa? Amazon will pay return shipping.
- No deadline on returns
- You typically have 14 days to return items. Items ordered between Nov. 14 and Dec. 25 must be returned by Jan. 8.
- You have a 14-day window to return items purchased at the retailer.
- You have one year to return or exchange items if you have the original receipt.
- No receipt? The store will exchange the item for 20 percent less than current selling price or offer merchandise credit for 20 percent less than current selling price.
- You have 180 days to return items.
- Most items purchased between Oct. 28 and Dec. 28 can be returned by Jan. 12, unless the products involve a carrier contract or phones.
- Certain opened items (video games, music, etc.) can be exchanged for identical items only.
- You have 90 days to return certain electronics and appliances, but most merchandise can be returned without deadline.
- You have 30 days to return or exchange items ordered through Dell.
- H&M has a strict 30-day return policy.
- No receipt? You have 45 days to return items.
- For appliances, electronics or furniture, you have 30 days to return items.
- Jewelry must be returned within 60 days.
- Most merchandise doesn’t have a return or exchange deadline.
- Premium electronics purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 25 must be returned by Jan. 31 for a full refund.
- No receipt? Return your item for merch credit for the lowest 13-week sale price.
- Orders placed between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31 must be returned by Jan. 31. Items with a 60-day return policy must be returned within deadline.
- Orders placed between Nov. 1 and Jan. 14 must be returned within 60 days of purchase
- No hard-line return policy, though receipts help with returns.
- Unwashed, unworn Old Navy, The Gap and Banana Republic items can be returned or exchanged within 45 days of purchase.
- Orders placed between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31 must be returned by Jan. 31 or within 30 days of delivery, whichever is later
- You have until Jan. 15 for orders placed after Oct. 1
- All items must be returned or exchanged within 15 days of receipt
- Most unopened items can be returned or exchanged within 90 days of purchase for a full refund.
- Some electronics have a 30-day deadline.
- Opened music, movies, software or video games can be exchanged for the same title.
- REDcard holders get an extra 30 days to return items.
- Items ordered between Oct. 14 and Dec. 24 must be returned by Jan. 23.
- Items ordered between Nov. 1 and Dec. 25 must be returned or exchanged by Feb. 28
- Returns typically accepted within 90 days of purchase, but electronics have a limited return period of 15 or 30 days starting Dec. 26.
- Some items (DVDs, CDs, video games etc.) must be returned unopened.
- Scan the receipt on the Walmart app before heading to the in-store express lane to speed up the return process.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.