An investigative report this week followed up the case of a 10-year-old boy, Peyton McCaughey, whose family claims he suffered brain damage after their home was treated for termites on Aug. 17, 2015.
The Florida Department of Health said the child showed signs of sulfuric fluoride poisoning - a toxic gas commonly used in Florida fumigations, according to the report.
Peyton’s family is suing Terminix. They claim they had the house sprayed and re-entered the home well after the safety period indicated in a note left by the company.
Peyton’s parents, Carl and Lori McCaughey, said the whole family became ill after returning home but everyone else recovered.
The McCaugheys said Peyton is out of the hospital and back home, undergoing extensive therapies to recover, but his injuries may cause him to need life-long care.
Read more and watch the video here if you cannot see it below.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.