These days, it boasts a variety of buildings on the National Register of Historical Places, plenty of locally owned shops and galleries, and some unique dining options. You can see Ohio’s oldest opera house or take the perfect photo at the mural on the Gem City Ice Cream Co. Building, which used to be the site of the Wright Brothers first cycle shop.
Tipp City, with its flower-lined streets and brightly colored storefronts, is all about preserving the rich history of our area.
This weekend, the Tipp City Mum Festival will takeover the town and it’s a milestone year in more ways than one. Now is as good a time to visit Tipp City as any.
>> Your guide to Dayton-area craft breweries
So, if you’re looking for local charm, this Main Street has everything you need for an afternoon stroll.
>> Your guide to some of the best patios in the Dayton area
WHAT TO DO
- Mum Festival, on Third St.: Complete with a parade down Main and an antique car show, this festival honors the chrysanthemum and crowns a queen every year. Held Sept. 28-30, 2018.
- Tipp Roller Mill, 225 E. Main St.: Catch live music every Thursday in this historic grist mill. May through December only.
>>GUIDE: Tipp City Mum Festival turns 60, race marks 40th year
WHERE TO SHOP
- Iron Dog Salvage and Antiques, 14 E. Main St.: Explore two floors of hardware, handmade decor, and antique treasures.
- The Golden Leaf Tea & Herb, 128 E. Main St.: Sip a cup of delicious tea with your friends, or buy in bulk.
- Browse Awhile Books, 118 E. Main St.: Check out their selection of books, and be sure to ask about the building's haunted history.
- Cairns Toys, 31 E. Main St.: Indulge your inner child at one of area's last specialty toy shops.
- Bodega Wine & Specialty Foods, 128 E. Main St.: Because wine and cheese, of course.
>> Flyboys Deli expected to open 2nd location this fall
WHERE TO EAT & DRINK
- Coldwater Cafe, 19 E. Main St.: A finer dining spot with European flair -- try the lobster crabcakes!
- Sam & Ethel's, 120 E. Main St.: Friendly, retro diner vibes and more burger specialties than you could dream of.
- Grounds for Pleasure Coffeehouse, 115 E. Main St.: A full-service coffee shop with plenty of seating for a mid-adventure break.
- Sweet by Kristy, 29 E. Main St.: Follow the smells of chocolate, pastries, and hand-dipped ice cream. Try the Fluffernutter cupcake and take blueberry muffin top ice cream to go!
>> 12 of the best hiking spots in and around Dayton
- The Clothesline, 22 N. Second St.: One of the best resale thrift shops that gives back to many local charities
- Charleston Falls, 2535 Ross Rd.: 169 acres of walking trails along the falls and through caves, prairies, and groves.
Know of any great spots in Tipp City that we missed? Tell us about it! Email email@example.com.