The grandparents of a 3-year-old boy in Texas made a stomach-churning discovery after the boy took a drink from a half-full bottle of Dr Pepper.
John Graves, the boy’s grandfather, told NBC 5 in Fort Worth, Texas, that his 3-year-old grandson Kayden started drinking the soda Sunday and didn't notice the rat until he reopened the bottle later on.
"This morning, when they opened it, they saw something floating there. You think of rabies. You think of dirty, filthy rodents. You know, what did he ingest?" Graves said.
The grandparents said they took the boy to a doctor to be evaluated and were waiting for the results. They also called the state, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Dr Pepper.
The soda company said it’s taking the complaint seriously, going so far as to offer to test the bottle. The family said it wants to have testing done on the bottle on its own.
The company insists its bottling practices would make it virtually impossible for a foreign object to get inside a bottle.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.