With just hours left for someone to claim an outstanding $63 million lottery prize in California, officials are still wondering who the lucky winner could be.
The winning ticket was sold at a 7-Eleven in Chatsworth, California, on Aug. 8, 2015.
“To date, no one has come forward to claim this ticket, leaving all those riches still sitting on the table,” according to the California State Lottery. “We don't know if it was a local or someone just passing through ... If you remember being in that area, or more specifically, actually stopping at that store around that time, check everywhere to see if you have the ticket.”
The winning numbers are 46-1-33-30-16 and Mega number 24. The winner can chose to take a lump sum amount, which would come out to $39.9 million before federal taxes, or take his or her prize in installments over the next 30 years.
The lucky ticket holder has until 5 p.m. Thursday to claim his or her prize.
If it remains unclaimed, the funds will instead go to the state's school system. Lottery officials said it would be the largest lottery prize ever forfeited in the state's history, far surpassing the $28.5 million that went unclaimed in 2003.
Court records obtained by the Associated Press showed one person previously came forward with what he claimed was a winning ticket.
In the lawsuit, Brand Milliner said he turned in his ticket and was told to expect the money but later learned from lottery officials his ticket was “too damaged to be processed.”
He asked a judge to declare him the winner, according to the Associated Press.
A California Lottery spokesman told the wire service officials were investigating the claim.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.