Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.
What to know now:
1. Election day: It’s primary election day for Democrats and Republicans as voters in five states and one American territory will head to the polls. Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Missouri and Illinois hold primaries and the Northern Mariana Islands will caucus as some candidates face must-win situations to stay in the race for the White House.
2. ISIS leader killed: U.S. officials say a senior Islamic State commander has died as a result of a U.S. airstrike. Abu Omar al-Shishani – or Omar the Chechen – died from injuries he sustained in a March 4 strike in northern Syria.
3. Mother Teresa: Pope Francis will sign a decree on Tuesday that will make Mother Teresa a saint. Mother Teresa spent her life working with the poor of India and was credited by the Vatican with two miracles of healing, thus qualifying her for canonization. The sainthood ceremony will be held Sept. 4.
4. Drilling in the Atlantic: A plan to open the waters off the Atlantic coast to oil exploration is being put on hold after the Pentagon raised concerns that drilling activity would interfere with military maneuvers and missile tests. The proposal from the Obama administration was expected to open federal waters off the coasts of Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia for lease by oil and gas companies. Now it looks like it will be 2022 before the leases could be issued.
5. Police officers shot: Three police officers were shot and a suspect killed in an altercation in Chicago Monday night. According to reports, the officers were investigating drug activity when they began chasing two men and a gunfight ensued. The officers’ wounds are not considered life threatening. The suspect allegedly fired on the officers and was shot and killed.
And one more
Todd Palin, husband of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, was seriously injured in a snowmobile crash Sunday night. Sarah Palin, who on Monday was campaigning in Florida for GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump, posted on Facebook that her husband suffered, "multiple broken and fractured ribs, broken shoulder blade, broke clavicle, knee/leg injuries; and a collapsed lung." Todd Palin was in intensive care in an Alaska hospital.
In case you missed it
How far back can you recognized the English language?