Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today.
What to know now:
1. Another shooting: Two court bailiffs were killed and a deputy sheriff wounded Monday when an inmate being moved from a cell broke loose and grabbed an officer’s gun, according to officials. The shootings happened in the Berrien County Courthouse in St. Joseph, Mich. Larry Darnell Gordon, was also killed.
2. Guns in Texas shooting: The man who shot and killed five Dallas Police officers purchased the weapons he used in the attack legally, law enforcement authorities say. Micha Johnson was armed with an Izhmash-Saiga 5.45 mm high-powered rifle, a Glock 9mm semiautomatic pistol and a .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol, investigators say. At Johnson’s home, detectives found more rifles, bomb making materials, ballistic vests and a journal of combat tactics.
3. Suicide attempt: Chelsea Manning, the U.S. Army soldier imprisoned for leaking classified documents, survived a suicide attempt, according to a tweet posted on a Twitter account. "I am okay. I'm glad to be alive. Thank you all for your love. I will get through this," was the post on an account said to be Manning’s. Manning, who was born Bradley Manning and asked to be recognized as a woman in 2013, is serving a 35-year prison sentence for leaking government documents to WikiLeaks.
4. A new PM: British Prime Minister David Cameron will step down as the leader of the UK when Theresa May takes over the job on Wednesday. Cameron, announced his resignation after he backed the losing side in a vote for Britain to leave the European Union. May is the leader of the country’s Conservative Party.
5. It’s Prime Day: It’s Prime Day on Amazon.com, and if last year is any indication, the folks at Amazon will likely have a big smile on their faces. Last year’s event – which was in honor of the retail website’s 20th birthday – turned out to be the largest global sales day for the company up to that date. Amazon says there is plenty of inventory, but, unlike the Internet, it is limited. (Hint: you should be up and shopping by now). Not to be outsold, Walmart has launched a “Rollbacks” sale that rivals Prime Day. The world’s largest retailer started its sale on July 1, and has some deals of their own to offer.
And one more
The body of the son of country singer Craig Morgan and his wife, Karen, was recovered Monday from the Tennessee River following a weekend boating accident. Jerry Greer, 19, went missing after the tube he was riding in overturned and he went into the water. Witnesses say he was wearing a life preserver at the time, but he did not resurface after he fell in.
In case you missed it
Just a man and his tortoise.