Fire engulfed a South Florida townhome after flames from a barbecue spread to the building.
Photo: Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue
Photo: Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue

South Florida couple grilling steaks loses townhome when fire engulfs building

>> Read more trending news 

According to Broward County Sheriff's Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Michael B, Kane, the couple was grilling steaks on the patio of their single-story townhome in Deerfield Beach, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

“The home is totally gutted,” Kane told the newspaper. “It’s pretty much a loss at this point.”

>> 6 tips for safe and fun summer grilling

Kane said the man was flipping steaks on the rear patio of his home when "The flames spread out of control” toward the townhome.

“He was in very close proximity to the home with his grill,” Kane told the Sun-Sentinel.

The man immediately called 911, and about 30 firefighters arrived to find flames burning through the roof of the townhome, WSVN reported. 

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the blaze, the Miami Herald reported.

>> What to know about propane safety before firing up gas grill

The man and woman managed to evacuate unharmed, Kane told reporters. They are staying with "friends and family nearby," Kane said.

Grilling can be a fun experience, but Kane said residents should be aware of the risks and be prepared.

“A fire can grow to double its size every 60 seconds,” Kane told the Herald. “Residents are encouraged to have an escape plan in the event of a fire or other emergency.”

Tips for Safe Grilling

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X