8 people, including 5 kids, hospitalized after family uses charcoal grill inside Florida apartment

Eight people have been hospitalized following a carbon monoxide alarm on Jacksonville's Southside Friday morning.

The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department received a call about children not feeling well at Baytree on Baymeadows apartment complex around 4:16 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, they noticed high levels of carbon monoxide. The large family said they were cooking inside the apartment using a charcoal grill.

Firefighters told Action News Jax, eight people - five children and three adults had to be taken to the hospital.

The carbon monoxide issue is under control, fire officials said.

About the Author