What You Need To Know: Copperhead Snakes

Pennsylvania woman bitten by copperhead while doing laundry

A Pennsylvania woman was heading to her basement to do some laundry Tuesday morning. That chore was interrupted when a 2-foot copperhead snake bit her on the arm, the Reading Eagle reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Judy Reed, of Mount Penn, called 911 shortly before 8 a.m., the newspaper reported. Originally, Reed told the dispatcher she was bitten by a rattlesnake, according to Central Berks County police. 

Reed's daughter, Danielle Reed, said her mother was treated by paramedics and taken to an area hospital, Philly Voice reported.

“She was in a lot of pain, there was a lot of swelling, and she had tingling in her arm” before she was treated, Danielle Reed told the Eagle.

>> Close call: South Carolina boy, 4, avoids copperhead in sandbox

The snake had been resting on a shelf near the washing machine in the basement, the newspaper reported.

Officials with the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission were contacted, and they were able to move it to a safer location, the Eagle reported.

>> Texas toddler OK after suffering bite from copperhead

According to Live Science, copperheads are common, but are also the most likely reptiles to bite. Their venom is mild and rarely fatal for humans, according to the website.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.