A Pennsylvania woman was heading to her basement to do some laundry Tuesday morning. That chore was interrupted when a 2-foot copperhead snake bit her on the arm, the Reading Eagle reported.
Judy Reed, of Mount Penn, called 911 shortly before 8 a.m., the newspaper reported. Originally, Reed told the dispatcher she was bitten by a rattlesnake, according to Central Berks County police.
Reed's daughter, Danielle Reed, said her mother was treated by paramedics and taken to an area hospital, Philly Voice reported.
“She was in a lot of pain, there was a lot of swelling, and she had tingling in her arm” before she was treated, Danielle Reed told the Eagle.
The snake had been resting on a shelf near the washing machine in the basement, the newspaper reported.
Officials with the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission were contacted, and they were able to move it to a safer location, the Eagle reported.
According to Live Science, copperheads are common, but are also the most likely reptiles to bite. Their venom is mild and rarely fatal for humans, according to the website.