New York AG sues president, Trump Foundation


New York’s attorney general filed suit Thursday against the Donald J. Trump Foundation and its directors, including the president and three of his children, alleging the foundation was inappropriately used for self-gain.

>> Read more trending news

“The Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their purpose or legality,” state Attorney General Barbara Underwood said. “This is not how private foundations should function.”

Underwood said authorities found evidence that the foundation “raised in excess of $2.8 million in a manner designed to influence the 2016 presidential election at the direction and under the control of senior leadership of the Trump presidential campaign.”

The president slammed the suit in a pair of tweets Thursday, writing that “New York Democrats ... are doing everything they can to sue me,” and vowing not to settle.

Underwood's predecessor, Democrat Eric Schneiderman, began investigating the foundation in 2016 following Washington Post reports that its spending personally benefited the presidential candidate. Schneiderman ordered the foundation to stop fundraising in New York. He resigned last month after allegations that he abused women he had dated surfaced. He denied the claims.

>> What you need to know about the Trump Foundation

Investigators said in a 41-page petition filed in court Thursday that Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski strategically ordered that foundation grants be given to nonprofit organizations in Iowa ahead of the 2016 Iowa caucuses. At least five $100,000 grants were given to Iowa nonprofits at Lewandowski’s behest, according to authorities.

Investigators said Trump also used foundation funds to pay off his legal obligations and to promote Trump hotels and businesses.

>> From Jamie Dupree: New York AG sues Trump, Foundation over illegal campaign help

The president is accused of using at least $258,000 of the foundation’s money to settle legal claims against his Mar-A-Lago resort and the Trump National Golf Club. Authorities said he also used $10,000 to buy a painting of himself at a charity auction.

Trump repaid the funds after authorities launched their probe of the Trump Foundation, Underwood said.

None of the payments were approved by the foundation’s board of directors, which includes the president’s children Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump, officials said. The board has not met since 1999, according to Underwood.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation World

Boyfriend arrested in connection with toddler's 'torture case' death
Boyfriend arrested in connection with toddler's 'torture case' death

A second arrest was made Friday in the death of 2-year-old Jayce Martin police in Orlando, Florida, said. >> Read more trending news  Johnathan Pursglove, 25, was arrested on charges of aggravated manslaughter of a child, police said. He was released on bond Friday. Jayce’s mother, Victoria Toth, 24, was arrested earlier this...
Junk food linked to higher risk of cancer, study says
Junk food linked to higher risk of cancer, study says

It’s no secret junk food is bad for your health. In fact, too much of it can increase your risk of several diseases, including cancer, according to a new report. >> Read more trending news  Researchers from health institutions in France recently conducted a study, published in the PLOS journal, to explore the link between cancer...
Trooper on I-70 Fatal Crash: ‘You have no chance against a car like that’
Trooper on I-70 Fatal Crash: ‘You have no chance against a car like that’

The Ohio State Highway Patrol is asking anyone who has information about the fatal pedestrian strike on I-70 near South Vienna — to come forward. The accident killed a 51-year-old Columbus man, identified as Bradley Liebling. OSP Springfield Post Commander Lt. Brian Aller, said they do not have a description of the suspect or a description of...
Jury awards boy $30 million in botched circumcision; award could increase
Jury awards boy $30 million in botched circumcision; award could increase

A jury in Clayton County, Georgia has awarded a boy $30 million for a botched circumcision, and the award could rise even higher as deliberations continue. >> Read more trending news  The verdict came down in the first phase of deliberations Friday, and the jury is expected to deliberate over whether to grant punitive damages, according...
Man suspected of threatening President Trump arrested after 3-month manhunt
Man suspected of threatening President Trump arrested after 3-month manhunt

A fugitive suspected of threatening President Trump has been arrested by police after a three-month manhunt. Shawn Christy, 26, was taken into custody Friday afternoon, the U.S. Marshals Service told WPXI. The federal agency said Christy was arrested in Mifflin Township, near Columbus, by marshals and task force members from Ohio and Pennsylvania...
More Stories