Mother rushes 7-year-old son to ER after he swallows AirPod

A Christmas gift landed a 7-year-old boy in the hospital and prompted his mother to warn other parents about it.

Kiara Stroud said she had to rush her son to the emergency room after he accidentally swallowed one of his AirPods.

"He said he was holding it in his mouth by the long part," Stroud said. She told WSB-TV she never imaged one of the wireless earbuds would end up in her son's stomach; however, an X-ray showed the AirPod just below his rib cage.

“We actually saw it because it has metal in it, so we could see it in the X-ray," Stroud said. "I’m like, ‘This boy really swallowed his AirPod!’”

As of Tuesday, the AirPod is still in the second grader’s stomach. Doctors at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston told Stroud and her son that the AirPod will pass through his system on its own and that he's going to be fine.

“He was like, ‘Mom. I don’t want my phone,’ because he got a phone for Christmas, as well, and he’s like, ‘I don’t want to be near my phone. I don’t want it to connect to my phone and start playing music,’” Stroud said. "I’m like, ‘Oh my God.’ He’s a crazy kid.”

Stroud told WSB-TV that she's probably just going to stick to the old-fashioned headsets from now on, at least until her son gets a little older.

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

About the Author