William H. Hamilton opened a hardware store in Springfield around 1875.
>> RELATED: Springfield Then & Now: Main Street
The store, located at 27 E. Main Street, was on the south side of Main at the corner of Primrose Alley, which once went through the middle of Core Block.
>> RELATED: Springfield Then & Now: Fountain Avenue
This photograph, taken in 1885, captures shovels and sleighs in front of the store needed for the snowy season.
From left to right are local lawyer Oscar T. Martin, his father, David B. Martin, and William Hamilton.