Jackson Nunamaker

Mechanicsburg man, 18, arrested after sneaking into Urbana High School

>> Bond set at $750K for ex-youth baseball group treasurer

On the morning of Sept. 12, two teachers noticed a student they didn't recognize. When they asked who he was, Jackson Nunamaker identified himself and told them he had just gotten out of juvenile detention and hadn't been given a class schedule. 

One of the teachers told Urbana police that other students in the classroom were laughing during Nunamaker's exchange with the teachers. The school counselor, asked to come to the classroom, escorted Nunamaker to the principal's office where he was told to come back Sept. 14 to speak with the counselor and principal. 

According to police, one of several students interviewed by the principal and assistant principal said Nunamaker "was walking by the bus stop this morning and decided to get on the bus." The student told authorities he warned Nunamaker he would get into trouble for being on the bus and going into the school building. 

According to police, Nunamaker was seen on school surveillance video following the student through the front door and staying in the cafeteria until walking to Room 205. 

"At no point did Nunamaker attempt to walk into the guidance office to inquire about a schedule or check into the office as a visitor normally be required," Urbana Police Officer A.J. Ervin, the school resource officer, wrote in a statement submitted to Champaign County Municipal Court. 

Principal Kris Mays checked and determined Nunamaker had already graduated through Mechanicsburg district schools.

>> Baby’s leg fractured while being changed

Police looked for Nunamaker but couldn't find him that day. The department asked the court for permission to file a charge of misdemeanor criminal trespass. 

According to court record, Nunamaker already was being sought on an arrest warrant issued Sept. 11 by Municipal Judge G.S. Weithman because Nunamaker failed to show up in court on a charge of contempt-probation violation involving an unrelated incident. 

On Sept. 14, Urbana police arrested Nunamaker at the high school, 500 Washington St. He was ordered by the court on Sept. 17 to have no contact with the high school. He pleaded guilty Sept. 24 and was fined $250 plus court costs. 

A judge sentenced Nunamaker to 30 days in jail -- but gave him credit for four days he spent in lockup and suspended the 26 remaining days. Because Nunamaker already was on probation in another case, the judge declined to add on probation for the trespass case, according to court record.

Got a tip? Call our 24-hour monitored line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com