System trouble with an evaporation fan -- and not an ammonia leak -- prompted the evacuation of the Aldi warehouse in Springfield on Tuesday.
A member of the maintenance crew said a security guard with the company erred on the side of caution and called the fire department when the fan shut off.
A hazmat crew and at least one rescue unit were sent to the facility, located at 4400 S. Charleston Pike, just after 7 p.m. on report of the possible ammonia leak.
"We didn't have an ammonia leak at all," the crew member said. "Everybody's back to work."
If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to email@example.com
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.