(UPDATE @ 9:56 p.m.) A Dayton Power & Light crew is being called to Sidney this evening to deal with a large tree that fell and may have taken power lines with it during Thursday afternoon's thunderstorms.
>> Severe thunderstorm warnings for some in region
There were no injuries reported in the incident on South Miami Avenue near Thompson Street.
But there were thousands of outages reported through the afternoon and evening in Mercer, Montgomery, Shelby, Champaign, Miami, Clark and Auglaize, according to the DP&L online outage map.
The downed tree in Sidney was one of several reports that followed the storms that prompted severe thunderstorm warnings as the system crossed the region:
- In the 3600 block of Storms Creek Road in Urbana, Champaign County, a large tree limb was reported to be touching power lines and producing smoke. That report was made just before 7 p.m.
- In the 4600 block of Vernon-Asbury Road in Pleasant Twp. area of Mechanicsburg in Champaign County, a tree was reported down with wires and blocking the road near Tarbutton Road. The report was made about 6:50 p.m.
- In the 5600 block of Old Columbus Road in South Vienna, Clark County, at least one tree and possibly wires were down between Bowman and Grant roads. That report was made about 6:50 p.m.
- In southwest Urbana, Champaign County, along state Routes 55 and 560 near the Clark County line, at least two trees were reported down. That report was made about 6:49 p.m.
- In Powhattan, Champaign County, along state Route 55, a tree was reported down at 6:49 p.m.
- In German Twp., Clark County, trees and power lines were reported down just before 6:30 p.m.
- On Moorefield Road in north Springfield, trees and power lines reported down just before 6:30 p.m.
- On Sixth and North Main streets in the village of Minster, trees were reported down about 5:45 p.m. "It was just a straight line of damage," said JoAnn Maltinski. There was hail also, she said. "The rain was coming straight across," she said.
We will update this developing report as we learn more.
If you have a news tip or photo of short video of damage to share, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to email@example.com
About the Author