UPDATE @ 4:14 p.m.
Employees at Orbis Manufacturing, 915 Phoenix Drive, have returned to work after a ruptured gas line filled the building with natural gas and forced an evacuation.
An estimated 50 people had to exit after a worker moving product struck a gas line that feeds a heater, according to Urbana Fire Chief Mark Teller.
Columbia Gas responded to the scene and shut off the gas feed. Overhead doors were opened which helped to vent the gas out of the building.
Employees were able to go back inside by approximately 4 p.m.
Orbis manufactures reusable packaging for businesses, such as plastic containers and pallets.
Crews in Urbana are responding to a reported gas leak inside a business in the 900 block of Phoenix Drive.
Early reports indicate employees are being evacuated after a gas leak was struck inside the building.
We have a photographer headed to the scene and will provide updates as more information becomes available.
Download our free apps to get news and weather updates on your mobile devices.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.