Want to turn your ho-hum dish towels into a customized look? This week’s DIY project will allow you to do just that. This project can also be used on cloth napkins, table runners and anything else you can think of. Let your imagination run wild. Just make sure your towel doesn’t have too much texture because it will make the bleach difficult to apply. Plus, with it costing just $6.83 to do two towels, you won’t break the bank with your new look.
You Will Need:
Items I Purchased:
• Solid color dish towel - $1.98 each at Walmart
• Clorox Bleach Pen - $2.87 at Walmart
Items I Already Had:
1. Place your towel onto a piece of cardboard so your bleach doesn’t seep through to other sides of your towel.
2. Using your bleach pen, draw a dot at the bottom of your towel. This will be the center of your flower.
3. From the center of your flower, draw curved lines out from that center dot. This will be the stems of your flowers.
4. The next step depends on if you want your flower to look like they are blooming or in bud form. If you want it to be in bud form, simply place small dots of bleach from your bleach pen around the end of your stem. If you want them to look like they have bloomed, pour a little of the bleach from your bleach pen onto a plate. Dip your pencil eraser into the bleach and then add larger dots around the stems.
5. You will see the color leaving the towel almost instantaneously, but it may not be bright white yet. You will need to use your bleach pen to go over these areas and add more bleach until you are happy with the results.
6. Let everything dry and then throw your artwork into the washing machine and you are ready to display it in your kitchen!