My sister loves owls and is also a baker. She inspired this do-it-yourself project.
This project came to me as I was perusing the shelves at my local thrift store and stumbled across an owl figurine. Why not make a cake stand? For just $2.17 I have made a great little piece that can display all the wonderful cakes, cupcakes and treats my sister makes.
You will need
Items I purchased:
• Owl figurine — 69 cents at local thrift store
• Plastic plate — 49 cents at local thrift store
• Black spray paint — 99 cents at Home Depot
Items I already had:
• E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive
• Acrylic Indoor/Outdoor Clear Sealer
1. Use the adhesive to glue the top of your figurine’s head to the bottom of your plate. You may need to add a thick coat of adhesive to fill in any gaps between the figurine and plate. Let this dry overnight to ensure it is set.
2. Take your plate and spray the entire piece using your black paint. Let dry. You may need to spray two or three coats to get a good even coverage.
3. Once your paint has completely dried, spray a coat of the clear acrylic on your entire piece. Make sure and get one that can withstand water (this will make the plate easy to clean).
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.