Rapper Remy Ma appears in criminal court during her arraignment on an assault charge, Wednesday, May 1, 2019, in New York. Ma was arrested on assault charges for allegedly attacking a reality television personality in New York City a couple of weeks earlier.
Photo: Alec Tabak/AP
Photo: Alec Tabak/AP

Remy Ma released from police custody after turning self in for alleged fight

TMZ reported that the 38-year-old rapper was holding hands with her husband, fellow rapper Papoose, after she posted $1,500 bail and was released. She was mostly mum when asked about the turning herself in. Her friend, rapper Fat Joe, could also be seen walking behind the couple.

Last month, Remy’s “Love & Hip Hop New York” co-star Brittney Taylor, 29, said the “Conceited” rapper punched her in the face at an April 16 concert. 

People reported that Remy, whose real name is Reminisce Smith, was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault after turning herself in to authorities Wednesday afternoon, according to a New York Police Department representative.

>> Read more trending news 

Taylor claimed that Smith punched her at 9:30 p.m. while the two were at the Pretty Lou Benefit Concert. She later posted photos of herself with a black eye in a since-deleted Instagram post.

“This arrest demonstrates how serious this matter is, it is real life and not reality TV entertainment,” Taylor’s attorney, Sanford Rubenstein, said in a statement to E! News around the time of Smith’s arrest. “The victim Brittney Taylor has confidence in our system of justice and will continue to fully cooperate with the authorities.”

Smith’s attorney, Dawn Florio, told TMZ Taylor’s claims are false, adding that there is video evidence showing Smith was at home at the time Taylor said she was assaulted.

But the incident could cause issues for his client, as she has three months left of parole following her imprisonment for a 2007 shooting.

Smith was sentenced to prison in 2008 after she got into an altercation with a former friend, Makeda Barnes-Joseph, in July 2007.

The Associated Press reported Smith was celebrating her birthday and accused Barnes-Joseph of stealing $3,000 from her purse. An altercation followed, and Smith shot Barnes-Joseph in the stomach. Smith argued the gun went off by accident in the fight.

Smith was convicted of illegal weapon possession, assault and attempted coercion and sentenced to eight years behind bars, but she only served six. She has been on parole since being released from prison in 2014.

The new allegations, Florio told TMZ, mean Smith has to wear an ankle monitor. She also has an earlier curfew, which TMZ reported is 8 p.m. Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Josh Hanshaft also ordered Smith to stay away from Taylor, the AP reported.

Smith is due back in court May 24.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.