You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Scott joins Bengals teammates for OTAs after signing made official


While most of the Cincinnati Bengals players have known for months Monday would be the day they return to town for the start of voluntary offseason workouts, running back Bernard Scott wasn’t sure he would be a part of it until a few days ago.

An unrestricted free agent, Scott agreed to terms on a one-year contract, a deal the team made official Monday as players began weight and strength training.

“I feel good,” said Scott, whose 2012 season was derailed by a series of injuries, the last of which came to his left knee in the Oct. 7 game against Miami. That resulted in him in being placed on season-ending injured reserve.

“I’m not where I want to be, but I’m getting better and better each and every week,” he added. “I’ll be ready by July. That’s what really matters. I just have to stay positive and keep working.”

Two other players whose seasons were stopped short by injuries, wide receiver Mohamed Sanu and kicker Mike Nugent, declared themselves to be 100 percent ready Monday.

“I have no nagging pain or anything holding me back,” said Sanu, who suffered a stress fracture in his left foot during practice Nov. 30. “I’ve been working out hard on it, and it’s getting better slowly but surely. I’m just excited to get back to it.”

Nugent, a Centerville High School and Ohio State University graduate who was injured during a practice one week after Sanu went down, said his calf has been 100 percent since early January. He signed a two-year contract in March.

The mood in the locker room was much different than it was four months ago when the players were cleaning out their lockers following another first-round playoff loss.

The commitment to bring back to many free agents — Scott was the 23rd to re-sign, and later in the day safety Jeromy Miles (restricted free agent) and wide receiver Andrew Hawkins (exclusive rights free agent) signed their tenders — was seen a vote of confidence from the front office.

“We’re a young team, so why not build within?” defensive end Carlos Dunlap said. “I felt pretty confident that if we got everybody that we could back that we’ll be building from there, building on what we did last year and get past that first round.

“That shows what kind of people we have upstairs, that they want to keep this team together and that we’ve got something special going here,” defensive tackle Domata Peko added. “There’s been a lot of moves from other teams in our division, they lost a lot of players. But it seems like we’re continuing to build here and we’re headed in the right direction.

“This is like the first day of school. Everybody’s smiling and talking, and it’s really good to be back together.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Sports

NFL Draft: Will the Bengals take controversial running back on Day 2?
NFL Draft: Will the Bengals take controversial running back on Day 2?

The Cincinnati Bengals will have two more picks in the second and third rounds of the NFL Draft on Friday. One of those picks is likely to be a defensive end, but whether it comes with the 41st or 73rd overall pick will depend on the first eight players selected when drafting resumes at 7 p.m. »RELATED: Need for speed fulfilled for Bengals After...
FSU’s Dalvin Cook among high-profile players still undrafted
FSU’s Dalvin Cook among high-profile players still undrafted

The first night of the NFL draft was full of surprises, from the seemingly lopsided trades of teams looking to move up to the players selected several spots before they were projected to go. >> Read more trending news Perhaps the most surprising thing about Thursday’s first round was the collection of names that remained on the board for...
H.S. Results for 4/27: Monroe tallies two grand slams in win

Faith Hensley and Alexis Arnold each had a grand slam in leading Monroe to a 16-1 win over Valley View in softball on Thursday. Hensley went 2-for-3 and Arnold 3-for-4 on the day. Sam Schwab added two hits and three RBI and Alyssa Wagner notched her 11th win. Hannah Powers drove in Valley View’s lone run. It marked the 12th consecutive victory...
NFL draft: 3 Ohio State defensive backs taken in first round
NFL draft: 3 Ohio State defensive backs taken in first round

Ohio State had three players taken in the first round of the 2017 NFL draft -- all defensive backs. Here is an overview of the trio:  ▪ 29th cornerback and 56th defensive back selected from Ohio State in the common draft era (since 1967) ▪ Last CB: Eli Apple, first round, 2016 by the Giants ▪ First CB: Ted Provost, seventh round...
NFL Draft: Twitter reacts to Bengals taking John Ross with first pick
NFL Draft: Twitter reacts to Bengals taking John Ross with first pick

The Cincinnati Bengals took John Ross, the speedster wide receiver from Washington with the No. 9 pick in the first round of Thursday’s NFL draft. The Bengals had wide receiver as a targeted as a position of need, but were expected to go defense.
More Stories