You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

UD’s bid to keep First Four games for long haul denied


Dayton was turned down in its bid to host the NCAA First Four beyond 2015 — for now, at least.

The NCAA lauded the school for what it’s done with the event since its inception in 2011, selling out both doubleheaders last year. UD also hosted the opening-round game with great success, beginning in 2001.

But while the school had sought another 10-year contract to keep the games, the NCAA decided against awarding a long-term deal because of the upheaval in Division I athletics and what that might do to the tournament.

UD still is considered the frontrunner to host the First Four from 2016-18 when bids are submitted in May 2014.

“They really said they appreciated Dayton’s level of interest of hosting this long term, but with the current state of affairs, they really were uncomfortable even acting on our proposal,” UD Athletic Director Tim Wabler said by phone from Italy, where he is accompanying the women’s basketball team on an exhibition tour.

“On the other side of this, all we hear from the NCAA is a constant reminder that we are a preferred site. They love everything about the University of Dayton and the community of Dayton and how well we support it. They certainly want us to keep participating in the bid process.”

In the last two years, 56 Division I schools have changed leagues. And the Big Five football conferences — the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 — have discussed forming another division while expressing their disenchantment with the NCAA.

Ron Wellman, the chairman of the NCAA men’s basketball committee and a Celina native, said: “I know first-hand what a great basketball town Dayton is, and while we know we can always count on Dayton’s support of the men’s basketball championship, the changing landscape in collegiate athletics makes it difficult to be certain what the future will bring.

“Because of this, our committee felt that the best course of action would was not to enter into any long-term commitments for any portion of the tournament until the future becomes more defined.”

While disappointed not to receive a lengthy commitment, UD and the Local Organizing Committee will keep working toward their goal of helping Dayton gain a niche in the sports world as the place where the NCAA tourney is launched every year.

“I believe we’ll continue to just knock out it of the park with the tournament the next two years and show them there’s no place like Dayton, Ohio, for the First Four,” Wabler said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Sports

Boys honor roll: Top 5 track and field leaders
Boys honor roll: Top 5 track and field leaders

The following are the top five boys high school track and field performances for all standard events through Wednesday, April 26. Results were compiled by FinishTiming.com. Thu.-Friday: Wayne Inv., 3:30 p.m. each day; running finals 6:30 p.m. Friday. Friday: Mechanicsburg Relays, 5:30 p.m.; Ben Logan Inv. at Bellefontaine, 5:30 p.m. Saturday: Clark...
5 players the Bengals are most likely to draft
5 players the Bengals are most likely to draft

The Cincinnati Bengals own a top-10 pick in the NFL Draft for the first time since 2011 after a run of five consecutive playoff appearances ended in 2016. What had been a young, talented and deep roster allowed the Bengals the luxury of viewing the draft through a broader lens, knowing they weren’t dependent on their top picks making immediate...
The ESPN we used to enjoy is dead and never coming back
The ESPN we used to enjoy is dead and never coming back

The worst thing that ever happened to ESPN was the success of PTI. Shortly after Pardon The Interruption debuted in October 2001, the network set about trying to replicate it on every other show on the network. That has proven to be a disaster because nobody in Bristol gets the debate isn’t what makes that show great, it’s the debaters...
Report: Cincinnati Reds plans for Devin Mesoraco coming into focus
Report: Cincinnati Reds plans for Devin Mesoraco coming into focus

Devin Mesoraco is ready to return to the Cincinnati Reds. Per MLB.com, that means the team is likely to start carrying three catchers when Mesoraco is activated Friday. The Reds are in a bit of a sticky situation because they don’t want to lose Stuart Turner, their current backup catcher, but also would like to continue carrying an extra reliever...
Ohio State NFL draft prospect Gareon Conley statement on rape allegations: ‘Completely false’
Ohio State NFL draft prospect Gareon Conley statement on rape allegations: ‘Completely false’

Gareon Conley has released a statement one day after news broke he is the subject of a sexual assault investigation in Cleveland.  Through his lawyer, the former Ohio State cornerback denied the allegations he raped a woman in a hotel room in early April.  “The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true...
More Stories