breaking news

Northwestern superintendent can return to work Feb. 1

Terrorism possible in Malaysian Airlines disappearance, local expert says


The mystery surrounding what happened to Malaysian Airlines flight 370 continued today with more speculation about what happened to the airliner carrying 239 passengers.

US officials believe that two communications systems aboard Malaysian Airlines flight 370 were shut down separately, 14 minutes apart - which indicates the plane did not come down because of a sudden catastrophic failure. According to investigators this indicated that the switch-off could have been a deliberate act and officials told ABC News that the two communications devices were ‘systematically shut down’.

The development related to the communications systems has the international community wondering if the disappearance could be a hijacking.

Donna Schlagheck, chair of political science of Wright State University, said there has been a decline in the number of international hijackings since Sept. 11 in part because of all the safety precautions that have been implemented. American carriers, she said, really set the standard for security regulations including not allowing anyone into the cockpit and ensuring passengers had valid passports — something two passengers on the flight did not have.

Information being gathered about the false passports combined with the news about the devices being turned off manually raises many questions, Schlagheck said. The bits and pieces that are being learned and then pieced together as part of a puzzle are starting to give a clearer picture.

“It’s beginning to look more and more like a hijacking,” she said.

If the plane was hijacked and landed in a remote location or in a foreign country, it’s odd there haven’t been any demands that have been made public.

“There are no demands that we know of,” she said. “We don’t know of any rationale.

“This is remarkably unique. I can’t think of another case where an airline went missing. I don’t think a pilot would turn off his transponder unless under great duress. There’s foul play in some form.”

There have been some domestic hijacking attempts — for example the one early in the Sochi Olympics, but that was thwarted.

“The number really has plummeted,” she said. “It’s been so long since we’ve seen a succesful one. That’s why this has been such a shock and surprise.

“My heart goes out to those families,” she said. “It’s horrifying.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

New Carlisle road closed for days to clean up 10K tons of corn
New Carlisle road closed for days to clean up 10K tons of corn

A grain silo collapsed in New Carlisle late Sunday night, dumping 10,000 tons of corn onto Ohio 571 and closing the road at least through Wednesday. The collapse happened about 11:40 p.m. Sunday at the Miami Valley Feed & Grain & Drive-Thru at 880 W. Jefferson St. The cause of the collapse isn’t known. READ MORE: New Carlisle Council moves ahead...
3 sentenced in stomping that caused pregnant teen to miscarry brother’s child
3 sentenced in stomping that caused pregnant teen to miscarry brother’s child

Three members of a Texas family were sentenced to prison last week in the brutal 2013 beating and stomping of a 13-year-old relative who authorities said was raped -- and impregnated -- by her own brother.  Sharon Jones, 47, of Dallas, and two of her children, Cedric Jones Jr., 29, and Cecila McDonald, 28, pleaded guilty for their part in the...
NW superintendent can return after allegations of ‘intimidating’ staff
NW superintendent can return after allegations of ‘intimidating’ staff

The Northwestern Local superintendent who’s been on paid administrative leave since November might return to work on Feb. 1, according to an agenda released by the school late Monday. Jesse Steiner was placed on paid administrative leave on Dec. 21 but has been paid not to report to work since Nov. 27. He remains on leave. School board members...
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff
Megyn Kelly still angry at Jane Fonda, calls her ‘Hanoi Jane’ months after plastic surgery tiff

It seems that neither Megyn Kelly or Jane Fonda has forgotten about that awkward September interview in which Fonda shut Kelly down after the latter asked about possible plastic surgery. >> Read more trending news    In the interview, Kelly asked Fonda about aging and plastic surgery when she and Robert Redford were on &ldquo...
Battle heats up over how Ohio should draw congressional district lines
Battle heats up over how Ohio should draw congressional district lines

Rather than fix a broken system, a plan backed by Republican state lawmakers will make certain Ohio voters get gerrymandered congressional districts for years to come, according to grassroots groups that are pushing a vastly different reform package. The groups — Common Cause Ohio, League of Women Voters of Ohio and the Ohio NAACP — came...
More Stories