You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

breaking news

Unemployment rates dip in Clark, Champaign counties

Registry to track convicted arsonists

Springfield averages about 85 arsons per year.Local firefighters say new database could track serial offenders.


The state’s new arsonist registry is another means for arson investigators to keep track of repeat offenders.

“Potentially it’s a wonderful tool,” said Brian Miller, Springfield assistant fire chief and fire marshal. “But it’s going to take time to be useful.”

Miller said the registry will not include those with previous arson convictions who have served out their sentences prior to July 1.

But, as names are added to the registry, “It will let us know that there is someone in the area (of a suspicious fire) with a significant problem related to setting fires,” Miller said.

Springfield averages between 80 and 85 arsons of vehicles and buildings each year.

The law, signed Dec. 24 by Gov. John Kasich, requires convicted arsonists to register annually at the sheriff’s office in the county where they live upon their release beginning July 1. Those previously convicted who have served their sentence are exempt. Juveniles also are exempt.

Convicted arsons from other states also are required to register if they move to Ohio.

“Our investigators view it as a positive, not as a silver bullet,” said Michael Duchesne of the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly said while the program is laudable, “it’s another unfunded mandate.” Sheriff’s offices throughout the state will handle the registration, overseen by the Attorney General’s Office.

“It’s pretty much the same as the sexual offender registry,” said Jill Del Greco of the Attorney General’s Office.

Del Greco said the AG spent $50,000 to expand the current technology to include the new registry. The offenders will pay for the upkeep of the system. They are charged $50 when they first register and $25 each subsequent year.

Sheriff’s offices will be able to access the registry online to enter the information, at no cost, Del Greco said. The registry is not available to the public.

Kelly pointed out none of the money goes to his office. His department will have to absorb any costs for inputting the data into the system.

Deputy Robert Wagner, who already updates the sexual offender registry, will be in charge of the arson registry. According to Wagner, there have been 210 arson investigation in the Springfield/Clark County area since 2009. He did not have any data on how many of those investigations went to court or ended with a conviction.

Numerous studies over the past 30 years show arsonists have high recidivism rate, meaning they are likely to commit another crime, often another fire.

Springfield’s Miller recalls convicting a man last year for six arsons, some of which were occupied buildings.

Christopher Allen Adams was arrested two months after being released from prison after serving 3 years on an attempted aggravated arson conviction. This time Adams was sentenced to 5 years in prison. When released, he will be required to register.

“If (the registry) helps to put someone like in prison for a number of years, then the number of arsons here should go down,” Miller said.

Miller noted that juveniles are exempt from the registry.

“National statistics show that slightly over 50 percent of arsons are committed by those who could be categorized as juveniles,” he said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

Erin Moran’s cause of death released, co-star Scott Baio responds to tabloids
Erin Moran’s cause of death released, co-star Scott Baio responds to tabloids

  “Happy Days” star Erin Moran most likely died from complications of cancer. The Harrison County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that a “joint investigation into Moran’s death was conducted” and “a subsequent autopsy revealed she likely succumbed to complications of stage 4 cancer,” TMZ reported...
FRESH IDEAS: The ‘Filter Bubble’ of Facebook

From Farhad Manjoo, in The New York Times: “Scholars and critics have been warning of the solipsistic irresistibility of algorithmic news at least since 2001, when the constitutional-law professor Cass R. Sunstein warned, in his book ‘Republic.com,’ of the urgent risks posed to democracy ‘by any situation in which thousands...
Clark County Municipal Court cases
Clark County Municipal Court cases

CASES CALLED MONDAY INCLUDED: Erin G. Beatty, 36, of 741 N. Florence St., two counts OVI, failure to stop at the scene of an accident, failure to control, innocent, continued. Kenneth J. Brinkman III, 32, of New Carlisle, domestic violence, guilty, continued. Hunter D. Busken, 20, of 909 Woodlawn Ave., offenses involving underage persons, guilty, continued...
Unemployment rates dip in Clark, Champaign counties
Unemployment rates dip in Clark, Champaign counties

Unemployment rates dipped in Clark and Champaign counties in March, while the state’s rate remained unchanged, according to state figures released this morning. Clark County’s unemployment rate was 4.9 percent in March, down from 5.6 percent in February, according to information from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Clark...
Central State will be removed from fiscal watch
Central State will be removed from fiscal watch

Central State University will be removed from fiscal watch by the state later this week. The Chancellor of the Ohio Department of Higher Education will visit the Wilberforce-based campus on Thursday to make the official announcement, said state spokesman Jeff Robinson. RELATED: New WSU president faced criticism over changes at previous school Chancellor...
More Stories