Public treating New Carlisle silo site like tourist attraction


Safety is a key concern as crews work to clean up 10,000 tons of corn that spilled onto Ohio 571 from a New Carlisle grain silo after it collapsed earlier this week.

“We’ve had problems with people getting too close taking pictures. People wanting to get a jar of the corn,” New Carlisle Fire Chief Steve Trusty said Tuesday.

RELATEDBy the numbers: Silo collapse in New Carlisle - Springfield News-Sun

Safety officials are asking the public to stay away from the site or stay behind barriers and tape. However, people are walking right into the scene filled with bulldozers, dump trucks and other heavy machinery.

A section of Ohio 571 was closed following the silo collapse at Miami Valley Feed & Grain & Drive-Thru near Scarff Road.

It could take the rest of the week before the state route is safe for travel, officials said.

“Give us the time, because it’s not going to go away in a day,” Trusty said. “It’s going to be a very slow process.”

RELATEDNew Carlisle Grain Bin Collapse - Springfield News-Sun

The pile can shift, move, have a lot of jagged metal, and concrete debris from the telephone poles. The failed silo is 43-years old.

“Anything can happen that’s our concern,” Trusty said. “That’s the reason we are keeping fire crews here on scene the entire time.”

The Springfield News-Sun’s news gathering partners at News Center 7 called several state agencies to see if the silo was regulated but were told no agency checks the structures. The Ohio Department of Agriculture checks what is inside of them.

To ensure a safe cleanup continues, the Clark County Sheriff’s Office will be on scene until it is finished said Maj. Christopher Clark with the sheriff’s office.

“There is heavy equipment operating here, there are trucks constantly moving in and out. People are trying to come around the barricades,” Clark said.

The pile of corn is very unstable, he said.

“There are fall hazards. There are entrapment hazards. It can basically be like quicksand,” Clark said.

People have been trying to climb up on the pile and that is very unsafe, he said.

The facility is private property and at this time is being treated as a crime scene, “until proven otherwise, ” Clark said.

“We really don’t know at this point what happened to cause the collapse. So, we are going to be here to secure the scene,” Clark said.

People who are found on site could be subject to criminal charges like driving on a closed road, criminal trespassing, and disorderly conduct.

Trusty said the corn is being moved onto the property of the grain silo owner for insurance purposes, however once insurance issues are addressed it will be the property owner’s responsibility for removal.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

Record-breaking warmth today; widespread showers expected overnight
Record-breaking warmth today; widespread showers expected overnight

Record-breaking warmth today More showers, storms tonight through Wednesday A wintry mix early Thursday TODAY: Early dry time with temperatures in the 60s. We’ll see broken clouds through the day with highs peaking in the low 70s. The record for the day is 69 degrees, set back in 2016. Expect wind gusts through the day between 20 to 30 mph...
Uber Eats driver accused of killing customer was convicted of battery in 2010
Uber Eats driver accused of killing customer was convicted of battery in 2010

Years before he was accused of killing one of his Uber Eats customers in Atlanta this past weekend, Robert Bivines had been arrested on aggravated assault charges in DeKalb County, Georgia, according to jail records.  But the nearly decade-old offense wouldn’t have been flagged by Uber’s driver pre-screening process...
Uber Eats driver accused of shooting, killing customer claims self-defense, attorney says
Uber Eats driver accused of shooting, killing customer claims self-defense, attorney says

An Uber Eats driver who police said shot and killed a customer in Atlanta turned himself in Monday afternoon and claims he acted in self-defense, his attorney said. Only WSB-TV's Tom Jones was there when Robert Bivines, 37, arrived at the jail with his attorney. The Atlanta Police Department's Homicide Unit secured an arrest...
VIDEO: Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz shown fighting students in 2016
VIDEO: Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz shown fighting students in 2016

The man allegedly behind the fatal Florida high school shooting apparently has a disturbing past that is coming to light. A school fight that was captured on camera a little more than a year ago is the latest development. Authorities said 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Cruz was ...
Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral
Sylvester Stallone assures fans he is 'alive and well' after death hoax goes viral

Actor Sylvester Stallone is the victim of a death hoax. A rumor claiming that the 71-year-old actor had passed away recently surfaced on social media — and he was not happy about it. >> Read more trending news  Stallone took to Twitter to express his annoyance. “Please ignore the stupidity,” the &ldquo...
More Stories