The Springfield News-Sun won the General Excellence Award - and several other awards - on Sunday in the annual Ohio Associated Press Media Editors newspaper competition.
It is the second time the paper has won General Excellence, which recognizes the overall work of the paper.
Among those awards, staff writer David Jablonski placed first for Sports Event Coverage.
In addition, the News-Sun and its staff won awards in the following categories:
Breaking News - News-Sun, second, for “12 Killed, 58 Wounded”;
Columnist - Tom Stafford, third;
- General News Photo: Bill Lackey, second; Barbara Perenic, third;
Feature Photo: Lackey, second;
- Sports photo: Perenic, second;
Photo Essay: Perenic, second;
- Explanatory Reporting: Matt Sanctis, second.
Also winning awards for work that appeared in the News-Sun were Dayton Daily News staff writers in the following categories:
- Sports Columnist - Tom Archdeacon, second;
- Investigative reporting: Laura Bischoff, third;
- News Writer: Josh Sweigart, formerly of the News-Sun, third.
The News-Sun and the Daily News are two of four daily newspapers within Cox Media Group Ohio.
The News-Sun competed with other newspapers with a circulation of 13,000 to 24,999. The Daily News competed with newspapers with circulations above 75,000.
The Associated Press, a not-for-profit news cooperative, includes 1,500 newspapers and 5,000 broadcast stations in the United States. There are 85 daily newspapers in the state who are members of the AP.