You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Woman hurt, dog dies in Springfield fire


A Springfield woman who might have been trying to save her pets as a fire broke out inside her home Wednesday suffered severe injuries in the blaze.

Carolyn Grigiss called 911 to report a fire at her home in the 1000 block of Torrence Drive at about 8:45 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they found Grigiss unconscious on her kitchen floor, said Assistant Fire Chief Brian Miller.

"We're concerned that she may have been worried about her pets and didn't leave immediately," Miller said.

She was taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center suffering from what Miller described as "very serious" injuries. Her brother, Peter Grigiss, said she suffered from severe smoke inhalation and was covered in soot. He said she had not regained consciousness before she was transferred to Miami Valley Hospital. She was still listed as a patient Wednesday night, but her condition was not released.

Smoke filled every room of the home, causing damage. One of Grigiss' dogs was killed in the fire, another was rescued and is being treated at a veterinary clinic. The victim's brother said it wouldn't surprise him if his sister had tried to save her animals.

"She loved her dogs. She just rescued a dog in July, and I don't know if it was an omen since one of the dogs died," he said. "They were her family."

Because of the nature of the fire, Miller said, he called in units from Springfield police and the state fire marshal's office to assist in the investigation. There were no signs of foul play.

The blaze is believed to have been caused by a space heater located in a back family room addition. It may have been too close to a chair and caught it on fire, Miller said.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home, Miller said.

The home is uninhabitable, with smoke damage in every room and water in the basement.The majority of the family room was destroyed in the blaze. Peter Grigiss said seeing the damage was shocking.

"It's just unreal. Everything's black. Everything's destroyed," he said.

A recovery team was called in to clean up. The house belonged to his parents, Peter Grigiss said, and his sister moved in a few years ago to take care of their mother before she passed away. While the home holds a lot of memories, he said his greatest concern is for her recovery.

"My sister is a special person," he said. "We're going to be praying a lot and waiting to see what the doctor's diagnosis is."


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Female dragonflies play dead to avoid amorous males
Female dragonflies play dead to avoid amorous males

Female dragonflies are one of only a few animal species that play dead to avoid mating or death, falling out of the sky and remaining motionless until the amorous male dragonfly leaves. That’s the conclusion of a new study in the journal Ecology by University of Zurich zoologist Rassim Khelifa, Newsweek reported. Khelifa, who documented the behavior...
George Clooney takes trip back in time through classic movies in new coffee ad
George Clooney takes trip back in time through classic movies in new coffee ad

Actor George Clooney journeys through a number of classic movies in a new coffee commercial for Nespresso. Clooney, with the help green screen technology, travels from a remote movie set through scenes of six famous movies to get to a Nespresso store for a cup of coffee, only to find out that Andy Garcia has made it in the end to the original remote...
WATCH: Mom pulls gun on barber when son’s haircut takes too long
WATCH: Mom pulls gun on barber when son’s haircut takes too long

The mother of a 7-year-old boy thought his haircut was taking too long, so she pulled a gun out of her purse to threaten the barber, according to police. Police are still looking for the woman after an April 14 incident at the Allstate Barber College in Cleveland.  Surveillance video shows the woman pacing in front of the chair where her son is...
End of an era as Ringling Bros. gears up for last two shows 
End of an era as Ringling Bros. gears up for last two shows 

It’s the end of an era.  After 146 years, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is folding up the big tent forever, shuttering the ticket windows and putting the animals out to pasture. The circus has been a staple of American entertainment since the mid-1800s, wowing audiences with an array of exotic animals, breathtaking acrobatics...
Explosives fail to bring down Ohio’s tallest bridge
Explosives fail to bring down Ohio’s tallest bridge

A third attempt to demolish the remnants of the state’s tallest bridge failed Sunday so crews will use cranes to dismantle the former Jeremiah Morrow Bridge in Warren County. Ohio Department of Transportation Press Secretary Matt Bruning said they are finished trying to blow the old bridge down. “After a demolition blast on Sunday morning...
More Stories