Depending on how long the federal government shutdown lasts, the impact could be severe on many people in the Southwest Ohio and Southeast Indiana area.
Here are 8 effects of the shutdown:
1) All military personnel continue to serve and accrue pay, but will not actually be paid until appropriations are available.
2) More than 8,700 civilian government workers at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base are furloughed.
3) Social Security recipients will get their checks, but those applying for Social Security are out of luck while the shutdown is occurring.
4) All pending passport applications are on hold.
5) Non-medical veterans services are curtailed.
6) All national parks and museums are closed, including the National Museum of the United States Air Force and the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Park.
7) Gun permits are not being processed.