You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

breaking news

Clark County health ranking drops, experts point to OD crisis as cause

Victoria Theatre suffers $257K loss for 2012-13 season

Soft ticket sales, higher flood assessment are blamed.


A $257,000 operational loss on revenues of $12.68 million for the fiscal year ending June 30 was reported by The Victoria Theatre Association and the Arts Center Foundation at the annual meeting of the organization on Wednesday. It has been two years since the arts organization has posted a deficit.

Steve Miller, outgoing board of trustees chair, told those gathered in the Mathile Theatre at the Schuster Center that one of the group’s unforeseen expenses was a Miami Valley Conservancy District flood assessment. A “readjustment of benefits” process completed once every eight years resulted in an assessment o $105,000 for the property which had been transformed from an empty lot to a large building since the last assessment. According to Kurt Rinehart, chief engineer of the Miami Conservancy District, the organization was paying $1,679 from 2005-2012.

“Every building that benefits from the flood protection pays the assessment based on the value of the building,” said Rinehart.

Another key challenge, according to president/CEO Ken Neufeld, was softer ticket sales than anticipated which he attributed to sequestration and the elections.

“The Fall election cycle caused us to postpone programming until late November because of the absence of television and radio advertising due to the Presidential election — that meant we had a lot of programming to “shoe horn” into the remaining seven months,” Neufeld said. “The downside of that meant that we were asking our audiences to spend money over a shorter period of time, and I think that hurt us.”

He said people were also worried about furloughs and cutbacks and “that uncertainty spread through the community outside of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base because it’s all linked together. And we had a few “one-time adjustments” that never help but always seem to show up when you really wish they wouldn’t.”

On a positive note, Neufeld reported that more than 24,000 tickets were sold to 4,000 new patrons during the 2012-13 season. New partnerships included a collaboration with Five Rivers MetroParks that introduced a National Geographic Live Series, a “Cheap Seats” campaign connected to the Schuster’s 10th anniversary that offered $10 seats to shows, and a Hometown Heroes event for families of deployed military. The VTA also took over operation of the Arts Garage in April. In the planning stage is a new project with Sinclair Community College.

Based on a formula developed by the Americans for the Arts, Neufeld said the overall expenses for the 2012-13 fiscal year of $12.68 million created an overall estimated $26.5 million economic impact for the Dayton Metro Area. The new board chair of the organization is Neil Freund.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

SEE IT: 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' cast reunites on Instagram
SEE IT: 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' cast reunites on Instagram

This reunion should bring a smile to the faces of '90s kids everywhere. More than 20 years after "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" came to an end, the cast was pictured "chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool" Monday night in a photo shared to Instagram by Alfonso Ribeiro, aka Carlton Banks. "Always amazing to spend an afternoon...
Darlene Cates, 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' star, dead at 69
Darlene Cates, 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' star, dead at 69

Rest in peace, Darlene Cates. The actress who played Gilbert’s mother in the 1993 film "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" died in her sleep Sunday. She was 69 years old. Cates was reportedly discovered when she appeared on an episode of “Sally Jessy Raphael.” The show was titled “Too Heavy to Leave Their House.&rdquo...
Donald Trump's childhood home sells for 'yuge' profit
Donald Trump's childhood home sells for 'yuge' profit

A real estate prospector just profited big-league from the sale of President Donald Trump's childhood home. According to CNN, the 2,500-square-foot New York Tudor has a new owner just three months after Michael Davis bought the property in Queens' Jamaica Estates neighborhood for $1.4 million. Last week, an unnamed bidder reportedly shelled out $2...
Security changes coming to Magic Kingdom
Security changes coming to Magic Kingdom

Security changes coming to Disney’s Magic Kingdom may affect how long guests spend in the security line. The theme park is moving the lines to outside the transportation and ticket center, where guests will be screened as soon as they get off the tram coming from the parking lot. Security barricades are already in the ground and tents are up...
New study shows no long-term cognitive benefits to breast-feeding
New study shows no long-term cognitive benefits to breast-feeding

A new study shows there are no long-term benefits to breast-feeding. The study, which was published in the journal Pediatrics says after age 5, there are no cognitive differences between children who were breast-fed and those who were not. Advocates of breast-feeding say it’s the short-term benefits that are important. For instance, Rae Summerbell...
More Stories