You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Urbana schools consider building

State would pay 61 percent of construction costs.


Urbana City School board members will study what it might cost the district to build new facilities and whether it makes sense in the coming year or so to ask voters to approve such a project.

The district will work with the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission to review several scenarios over the coming year, said Charles Thiel, superintendent for the Urbana City School District. In part, that decision came because the cost the district would have to pay for its share of the project has fallen significantly in recent years, Thiel said.

Just a few years ago, the district would have been required to pay about 57 percent of the cost for any new construction, while the state would pick up the remaining 43 percent. But Thiel said that number has steadily fallen, and the district would now pay 39 percent of the cost for new construction, while the state would pay the remaining 61 percent.

“Once it got to that point, that’s something where I think we needed to begin exploring that option,” Thiel said.

The decision to study potential building projects does not necessarily mean the district will move forward and ask voters to approve new construction, Thiel said.

But Thiel said the district’s current buildings are some of the oldest in the county compared to other districts. New buildings could also be more energy efficient and possibly help cut administrative costs as well.

This fall, the district will ask voters to renew a 3.5-mill permanent improvement levy that generates about $500,000 annually for maintenance of facilities. That levy has been on the books since 1984, Thiel said, and has been approved several times since. If approved again this fall, it would give the district a stable source of revenue for building maintenance moving forward.

Possible construction projects could include construction of a new middle school, a pre-kindergarten to fifth grade building, a new high school, or some combination. The new facilities would be built on about 50 acres of land near the Champaign Family YMCA on Community Drive, land the district purchased several years ago.

Thiel said the district’s finances should be relatively stable for the next few years, and new facilities might help the district save money long-term. For example, a new pre-kindergarten through fifth grade building could allow the district to close older facilities, saving money on energy and administrative costs.

Studying the issue now will allow the district to decide which plan makes the most sense and will provide time to gather input from voters. The district does not have to notify the OFCC of any decision to move ahead with a construction project until next spring, Thiel said.

“These are all the options the board will have to look at and bring to the community,” Thiel said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Firefighters rescue woman clinging to top of crane
Firefighters rescue woman clinging to top of crane

A woman in Toronto can thank firefighters for getting her down from a precarious perch. She had climbed a construction crane but then needed firefighters help getting down. >> Read more trending news When rescue crews arrived, she had been clinging on to a steel cable for at least four hours, The Associated Press reported. Crews strapped her...
Dog food recalled after samples test positive for euthanasia drug
Dog food recalled after samples test positive for euthanasia drug

A dog food company has issued a nationwide recall after some samples tested positive for the euthanasia drug pentobarbital. Party Animal said in a recent news release that it is recalling two lots of its Cocolicious dog food after a Texas retailer said a customer had brought samples of the food to a testing lab, which detected the drug. The...
World’s largest Starbucks to set up shop on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile
World’s largest Starbucks to set up shop on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile

Chicago’s swanky Magnificent Mile will soon have a mega jolt of caffeine as Starbucks announces plans to open the world largest coffee shop of its brand. The chain announced this week that it will open Starbucks Reserve Roastery in Chicago in 2019, WMAQ reported. >> Read more trending news  The North Michigan Avenue business will...
Army veteran wants to put an end to school lunch shaming
Army veteran wants to put an end to school lunch shaming

An Army veteran, who is now a teacher, is trying to put an end to lunch practices by school districts that take a child’s lunch and throw it away when their accounts don’t have enough money to cover the meal. Kelvin Holt served in the Army for more than 32 years. When he retired, he went into education. >> Read more trending news...
7 things to know now: Tax cuts proposed; NFL draft; Coulter canceled; Cosby, daughter speak out
7 things to know now: Tax cuts proposed; NFL draft; Coulter canceled; Cosby, daughter speak out

Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and world today. 1. More money: United Airlines has raised the limit on payments to customers who agree to give up their seat on overbooked flights. The airline says it will pay up to $10,000 for the inconvenience. The airline announced the new limit, along with other changes in the way customers...
More Stories