You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Two fires in Springfield reported


Two small house fires in Springfield late Friday morning were likely caused by electrical issues, officials said.

Two adults and two young children escaped the first fire at 413 Gallagher St. without injury.

Hiram Christian Jr. and his children, a 3-year-old and a 7-month-old, were upstairs sleeping when the older child began screaming because of a smoke alarm going off, homeowner Hiram Christian Sr. said.

Christian Sr.’s wife, Judy, was downstairs when the smoke alarm went off.

It started at or near an upstairs bedroom electrical box about 10:50 a.m., Springfield Fire/Rescue Division Battalion Chief Randy Keifer said at the scene.

The fire was contained to the bedroom and Keifer estimated damage to be less than $5,000. The American Red Cross was on scene to assist the family.

About an hour later, Rick Hagans was on the couch at his rented home at 1906 Springmont Ave. when he heard a scratching sound behind the wall and assumed a wild animal had gotten in there, he said.

Hagans said he looked up in the attic and saw an orange glow. “I knew then that it wasn’t good,” he said.

He tried to smother the fire with a sweatshirt, he said, but quickly realized firefighters were needed. Hagans wasn’t injured.

Keifer said it likely started with a wire in a wall. He estimated damage to be about $3,000.

Keifer reminded residents of the importance of smoke alarms. He said the current building code is to have one smoke alarm on each level and one in each bedroom and reminded residents to change their batteries when the clocks change. New homes have more stringent rules.

“Smoke alarms absolutely, positively save lives,” he said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Clark County Heritage Center to ‘Elf up the museum’
Clark County Heritage Center to ‘Elf up the museum’
Timeline: James Uphoff
Timeline: James Uphoff
Actor Judge Reinhold 'embarrassed' about arrest at Texas airport
Actor Judge Reinhold 'embarrassed' about arrest at Texas airport
Actor Judge Reinhold, who has starred in movies like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Beverly Hills Cop" and "The Santa Clause," was arrested at Dallas Love Field Airport after a confrontation with the Transportation Security Administration, The Associated Press reported.
'Lightning' slide recalled after children lose fingers
'Lightning' slide recalled after children lose fingers
At least two children have suffered amputated fingers because of broken welds on stainless steel playground slides.
Government shutdown looms: Wright-Patterson on standby
Government shutdown looms: Wright-Patterson on standby
More Stories