Looking for signs that spring is around the corner? State wildlife officials on Monday released its schedule for stocking trout in local waterways.
Beginning this month, more than 98,000 rainbow trout will be released in 63 lakes across the state, according to a release from the Ohio Division of Natural Resources.
The annual event is aimed at providing excellent fishing opportunities, especially for young anglers who may be casting their first rod and reel, according to ODNR Division of Wildlife Chief Scott Zody.
"Trout fishing provides the ideal introduction to the outdoors for our children and can help foster a lifetime love of fishing," Zody said in a statement.
Some parks are planning special events to coincide with the fish release.
For more information and a complete list of stocking dates, contact the nearest wildlife district office, call 1-800-Wildlife, or visit wildohio.com.
Local stocking dates and sites
- March 14, Rush Run Lake, Preble County
- March 27, Clark Lake, Clark County
- March 28, Sycamore State Park, Montgomery County (Trotwood)
- April 5, Stonelick Lake, Clermont County
- April 16, Tawawa Lake, Shelby County
- April 17, Davis Lake, Auglaize County